DjangoBooks.com

How do you deal with (very minor) emotional trauma when your guitar got...

edited October 2017 in Welcome Posts: 88
Well, trauma may be too strong a word although I know some men who were truly traumatized when their beloved car got scratches.

So, the other day some friends came over for dinner and after a while my gypsy jazz guitar (in mint condition) made its appearance. One musician friend was very impressed with the quality of the Castelluccia guitar and played a few blues tunes and rock songs. We had a fun night and I didn't pay much attention. The next day I took out the guitar getting ready to practice. And I noticed lots of scratches either from friend's nails or pick on the top where many people install pick guards.

I know these scratches don't hurt the sound of the guitar and they are really cosmetic. I kind of know this would happen one day but I never create any scratch. When I play la pompe none of my fingers or the pick would be in contact with the surface. But he wasn't playing gypsy jazz and made a lot of contact. Naturally my heart ached for my guitar. Silly, I know.

How did you deal with this negative emotion when others scratched your guitar? Grrrrrr.

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Try to look at it as a tool for making $$, rather than a collector's piece. Easier said than done, as I am very careful with my 3 year old Dupont and dislike every little mark, scratch, etc. Obviously, other people don't care about your guitar the same as you do. There is a chance you can smooth out some of the scratches with Meguiars polish as the guy at Guitar Showcase did with my first used GJ guitar. I'm not sure which one he used, however.
    Kyle_M_Imlah
  • jonpowl wrote: »
    Try to look at it as a tool for making $$, rather than a collector's piece.

Unfortunately it's just my hobby. I am not a professional musician. So, the guitar is more or less a collector's piece. Ha ha (with aches).
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The first scratch is liberating. Because after that one, you stop caring.
    Kyle_M_Imlahsteffoalton
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I bought a used Cigano GJ-10 ($200+) that I leave out on the stand. It sounds pretty good and plays nicely with a thinner neck than the Dupont. If one of my friends left a scratch on it, it would still bother me, but not nearly as much as a scratch on the Dupont ($2000+). I think a good luthier or guitar tech could smooth out the scratches on your Castelluccia.
  • travisrayletravisrayle ✭✭
    Street cred!
    BucoKyle_M_Imlah
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 959
    Well here is a subject I have long wondered about.
    Relics !
    What are they and why?
    It seems for a few years now some guitar players like to artificially 'age' their guitars, with considerable wear and tear. This may not particularly apply to many GJ players but who knows, there might be some? I know Fender, for example (there may be others) will even sell you a new guitar made to look old AND charge you extra for the privilege!
    So who is buying them? And why? Is it because so called vintage instruments are often worth a lot more than the equivalent new model, so some posers want to pretend they are playing something vintage?
    So while a 'mint' '62 Strat is going to be worth a lot more than a worn one, a new Strat with damage is worth more than a regular off-the-shelf one, so figure that one out.
    Maybe a few more scratches on your Castelluccia will add value in the short term, but if it survived another fifty years in good clean condition, then it would be priceless?
  • Maybe a few more scratches on your Castelluccia will add value in the short term, but if it survived another fifty years in good clean condition, then it would be priceless?

Well, I'll get back to you in 50 years :))
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    I happen to think a guitar has a bell curve: 1) when you get it it's beautiful and perfect, but has no character... 2) then you get a scratch or two on it and your beautiful baby has been "ruined"... it's distressing because it's not perfect anymore, but eventually you get over it and let it go... 3) after years of playing it's full of marks and wear and looks beautiful in a new way, it has character and looks well loved (after all a guitar should be played right?)... I also happen to think the worn in, slightly beat up look suits gypsy jazz guitars a lot. This music is beautiful, but gritty and worn in it's own way. When I think of it, I think antique, vintage guitars played by old gypsies smoking cigarettes in the basement of some old bar/cafe. Your guitar is on it's way to fitting into that picture.
    jonpowlBucoKyle_M_ImlahaltonChrisMartin
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 88
    @Brad Herman I LOVE YOU!! Your words did it. Now I can't wait for the day when my guitar has been well loved and full of loving characters! (But I won't start smoking.)
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    Guitars should be bought to be played. Playing them will and should break them in. The best sounding guitars are never the best condition ones. Relax and enjoy.
    MichaelHorowitz