DjangoBooks.com

"Fishman Aura Spectrum" preamp/DI ... anybody tried one?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
I know probably many/most GJ guitarists wouldn't really be interested in this sort of product, but there seem to be a lot of great players at this site who play in other genres... anybody ever tried one of these?

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/aura/aura-spectrum-di-preamp/
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,854
    Back in 2013, there was a lengthy thread about Fapy Leftertin's classic 1990's recordings which attempted (and very successfully, I would say!) to reproduce Django's recorded sound from the 1930's.

Our own astute and invaluable Bob Holo chimed in with his observations:

In the studio videos Dave Kelbe made of Fapy, the mic directly in front of him looks sort of like the back of a Melodium Model 75a or possibly Model 55... Melodium was a French mic company and supposedly Django recorded on Melodiums a few times so that's a possibility.

But a lot of this is the mastering - it is very truthful - possibly a little forward in the lower midrange but pleasantly free of sparkle or lift or plate or any other kind of EQ or ambience enhancement. It's a wonderfully unadorned mastering job... and those old large diaphragm dynamic mics started rolling off gently around 7kHz which is part of it. That's "the" sound for that type of recording. He did a hell of a good job of it, whatever he used... very old school.

And now thanks to this Fishman Aura gadget, this exact vintage sound could be made available for you and me to mix with or perhaps even replace the acoustic sound of our own guitars on each and every gig...

Imagine that!

It's mind-blowing!

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,854
    However, simulating Django's 1930's recorded sound is just one way this technology could be used.

Imagine that Bob Holo takes one of his already beautiful-sounding guitars and then plays around with the "Aura" simulation until he creates other sonic textures which can be mixed in to complement the raw acoustic output perfectly...?

***crickets****

Man, tough crowd...
    Buco

Try the buffet! We'll be here all week!

Why are interested in it? Just as the preamp and EQ or you're interested in it's modeling capabilities?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    the latter, Buco. This would seem to be a revolutionary development in acoustic guitar technology, though I can't be sure because I haven't actually heard or tried it yet.

I don't know about revolutionary but Fishman knows what they're doing and it sounds like they spent a lot of time designing this so I'm sure it'll do what they claim.
    It sounds to me what does is makes it easier to get a good live sound out of your acoustic guitar with little time spent messing with it on the stage.
    Same what you would get with a high quality microphone but without dealing with a feedback, low headroom and such.
    Fishman recommends finding a sound that closely matches the natural sound of your guitar.
    One guy mentioned in his review that people confuse this pedal with a modeling pedal and said you can't take this and make your 6 string sound like a 12 string, but it'll make your 12 string sound better on the stage.

There are true modelers too, one that's been mentioned on the forum where you take say a Holo and record it using a high quality microphone and feed that sound into this pedal and then play any guitar but get something close to Holo at the output. Line 6 is probably the most popular brand doing modeling.

What's your ultimate goal?
    Line six... thanks, Buco, I will check that out! Never heard of that before.

My goal is to make my acoustic guitar sound as good as it can possibly sound when it is amplified.

At this point, I don't know if that means modelling the sound of my heroes Lang, Reinhardt and Aleman... or perhaps customizing my own sound with my beautiful guitar...?

Or both, who knows!

I guess I'm going to have to play with it and see.

This is like an alternate universe for me, after years and years of putting up with shitty sound whenever amplifying my guitar...

Damn, I just got a tech support email from Fishman which informed me that this product won't work with my Ischell pickup!

Oh man...

I think Zoom A3 has the same idea behind it.
    And it's a very powerful stompbox otherwise with lots of great neat things packed in it.
    Boost switch too. Was it you at one point among others that wanted to have this feature?