DjangoBooks.com

Strings!!! Arrrrgh ....

mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
Too many choices these days. I've liked the Pearse Nuages strings a lot, and of course I've used the Argentines, but that G string just dies immediately.

So what do people prefer now? GHS and D'Adarrio seem to be making gypsy jazz strings just because they're stringmakers and want to fill a category. Anything just stand out as an excellent-sounding, reasonably durable string?

Comments

• altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    After a lot of time and money, I keep coming back to Argies. They just sound better. As far as them wearing out quickly, I feel like getting into playing this music and buying a GJ guitar is like taking an oath that you WILL change your strings more often than you ever had on any other instrument. Sadly, it's an oath that I break more than I want to admit.
    Bucomcgroup53MarkA
  • Source the G string separately.
    I've been on John Pearse lately. They hold up well in my case.
    mcgroup53
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Anyone used the GHS or D'Addario versions?
    I've used D'Addarios, went through the few sets. There was something I wasn't getting out of them, I'm not even sure what it was now.
    Joscho Stephane swears by them.
    But so much depends on the guitar. Even changing the bridge.
    I have this new bridge now and I want to try some strings I've used in the past that I think would work well it now.
    Like Lenzner Fisoma which used to give me rich overtones which I think would go well with this bridge.
    Those were my favorite strings for a while too.
    mcgroup53
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,457
    Also have experimented a lot with those other brands. I still think Argies are best. To deal with the G issue, I buy a 10-pack of the single strings from Michael along with 2x5 full sets of the Argentines. Put on a fresh G twice as often as you're changing all 6.

A dead G makes the whole guitar sound dead, but the flipside of that is that a fresh G can makes the whole guitar sound fresh again :)
    BucoAndrewUllemcgroup53MichaelHorowitzalton
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    mcgroup53 wrote: »
    Anyone used the GHS or D'Addario versions?

I use D'Addario 10's. So does a pal I play with, we get very different results.
    They're very bright at first, then get a little warmer with some use. The sound out of them feels pretty nice for me on my guitar. However they don't last as long as I'd like, but that can be because I play around 4+ hours every day.
    I've stuck with these strings because they're also much easier to get here in Mexico, and are reasonably priced.

mcgroup53
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 33
    I've been alternating between the Argentines and John Pearse Nuages lately, and really like the sound and longevity of the Nuage strings. They seem to last longer than Argentines on my guitar. Another brand I really liked were the Phillippe Bosset that Michael sells here.. bought them on a whim, and they lasted much longer than both of the above strings (perhaps the price reflects that, being a little more expensive). His description of the Bosset strings online here is spot on!

Sadly, the D'Addario strings were the only pair I really couldn't get behind..
    mcgroup53
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo

Sadly, the D'Addario strings were the only pair I really couldn't get behind..

Agreed. Tried them twice. Just not for me.

mcgroup53Michael S Harrington
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited August 2017 Posts: 476
    If you wrap very fine copper wire onto a G string, the copper will fail long before other alloys (other kinds of metal strings) as you smack it with your pick.
    Unless there is a difference in the chemical alloys, the name on the package isn't going to make the fine copper wire any stronger. It's seems just to be the nature of the material. Copper is highly malleable (able to change shape) more than any other metal. Even the thicker windings on the lower strings are being beaten flat where the pick hits. You can see it.
    I don't know if these copper wound strings are alloyed (combined) with other metals. If they really are just silver plated relatively pure copper, there's no hope for durability.
    Buco
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK