DjangoBooks.com

Mr Jorgenson's guitar here

Hi guys

Do you know by any chance what guitar model is Mr Jorgenson playing here ? This guitar sounds very nice to me .

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 Posts: 872
    Looks like a Gitane DM-250 or similar.
    I had one and found it a bit ringy but as I have improved I usually find anything works well if you have the sound in your fingers. The problem is rarely the guitar unless intonation or misc. issues are with the guitar.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Yep, it's a Gitane DG250M. I had one until recently and it was an excellent guitar. It has a very slim neck and mine had a particularly louud, clear and cutting sound.
    always learning
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks for replies
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    I have one, I'm happy with the solo note sound but I feel the sound for rhythm could be drier at times. I'm not sure how much is me or the guitar though. I tried a Debarre model, not sure what brand, and my rhythm sound was much drier and closer to the sound I like. Anyone had the same experience?
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Shemi wrote: »
    I have one, I'm happy with the solo note sound but I feel the sound for rhythm could be drier at times. I'm not sure how much is me or the guitar though. I tried a Debarre model, not sure what brand, and my rhythm sound was much drier and closer to the sound I like. Anyone had the same experience?

I think you are thinking of the Dell'arte Angelo Debarre model (which I have had and it was really good for a Chinese made guitar) or the Gallato 1939 Angelo Debarre model (also now Chinese made although the older ones had a serial number and were made by Geronimo Mateos in France/Spain). Any of the Gallatos or the Dell'arte sounded better to me than the Gitanes....I haven't been amazed by Gitanes, as you can buy a decent second hand French made instrument for the price of a Gitane new sometimes!
    Rafa, what I think you're hearing is a beautiful music.

Of course the instrument matters otherwise all the top players wouldn't be playing top luthiers instruments. But in the end the guitar is the tool. It can be inspiring tool. But it's the music that we hear, not the instrument, not the players technique. Give me those very same guitars you've been posting as examples of wonderful guitars and I doubt anyone is going to make a similar comment.
    I mean, I've done the same thing before I got my guitar so I know the feeling. Actually what made me order from this luthier is hearing one of his guitars in the video he made where he played it before he shipped it off to the customer. So yeah, I get it, just keep things in perspective.

You've mentioned Joscho in the other thread. There are a couple of videos on the forum that I remember seeing with Joscho playing someone's borrowed very cheap guitar and the guitars just sound incredible. I think in one of them the owner actually commented that he thought he owned a POS until Joscho played it and since then he loves it, or at leas has a hole new appreciation.

That said I hope you get yourself a nicely made instrument.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    This is the video that did it for me and I said to myself when I got the $ I'm calling this guy.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    What a great sounding guitar Buco, I'm guessing the two tone burst non cutaway is not common among gypsy style guitars? Does the guy make violins/violas as well? Looks like one still in the white in the back of the shot.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited August 2017 Posts: 921
    I think Risto only makes guiars - I could be wrong but anyway what amazing guitars he builds. I think for the money he's amazing. The thing is his guitars are not that common as far as I can see. Here's the link to his website
    http://www.ivanovskiguitars.com.mk/gypsy guitars.html
    Shemi
    always learning
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll check the link out. What's your Alex Bishop guitar like crookedpinky? I've been looking at his guitars with an envious eye for a long time. His workmanship looks fantastic with some really interesting design ideas. Beautiful stuff.