DjangoBooks.com

Using DuPont bridge on Paris swing 39

Max SteinMax Stein
in Welcome Posts: 1
Was wondering if buying a DuPont bridge for a Paris swing 39 would give any benefit in tone or even work at all. The strings just don't seem to drive the sound board like other gypsy Jazz guitars. I am using arg 10s maybe 11s would put more pressure into the top of the guitar. Also would sanding the top of the guitar make it louder? Since ur reducing the mass. Thanks

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Might want to check the Action at the 12th fret.
    Bottom of string to top of 12th fret.

Low: 1mm-1.5mm
    Med: 2mm-2.5mm
    High: 3mm-3.5mm

If your's is low, you could try some shim stock under your Bridge feet, sometimes the small added height will allow the Guitar top to flex more and become louder.

I have had great results with these bridges from ebay and china 3 for $15.48

took a couple of weeks for them to arrive from CHINA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Rosewood-Bridge-Fits-for-jazz-guitar-Quality-Musical-Guitar-Parts-Accessories-/141559649143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f59cd377

Dupont ?
    Better to start with something less expensive to hone your setup skills.
    Lots of great help topics here to help you with setups.

Check out this post...

Gypsy Guitar Action

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/5204/gypsy-guitar-action/p1

here is another...

Set up Stories

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/2517/redirect/p1

I have about 6 or more GJ Bridges
    makes trial a little easier.

Good Luck! If I can do it must be pretty simple.

Do check the bottom right corner RELATED DISCUSSIONS
    answers already posted.

B T W

here is a handy reference chart to measure with U S Coins.

jonpowlrenzok
    I would totally recommend to sand the top! Not only the top, sides and back as well. I also have a Paris Swing 39 model and the results after removing lacquer and polyurethane from top/sides/back was amazing. The guitar sounds much louder and crunchy. To remove lacquer and polyurethane you must use acid and then use french polish.
    pickitjohn
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 3
    this is part of the process and an audio of the final result
    Buco
  • terrassierterrassier France
    edited July 2017 Posts: 101
    You need to send that to the guys at Paris Swing :)
    everyone could of saved some time all round.

A before and after under same conditions would of been useful.
    uoltercarlos
    @terrassier unfortunately i don't have any recordings with the same mic. I bought an Audio-Technica AT831B after sanding the guitar.
    I think Paris Swing guys, in order to protect the instrument from humidity and temperature changes, finish guitars with that much lacquer and polyurethane because they deliver thousands in cardboard boxes through cargo ships... Who knows? All I can say is that the before and after sanding, which reduced the top thickness by about 1 mm, increased the sound quality and volume in a spectacular way and now I love my instrument after being VERY disappointed. Right now all i have to do is to buy a new bridge and set it up correctly. I was also thinking on a Dupont bridge and that's why i came here.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    @uoltercarlos I am curious about the acid that you used to strip the poly. What product is it? The reason that I ask is that I have a Gitane Jorgensen Tuxedo that is a fantastic instrument in terms of build quality and playability, but it lacks THE sound. Likely due to the thick as hell bullet proof poly finish.
    pickitjohn