DjangoBooks.com

"Donna Lee" Adrien Moignard & Benoit Convert

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    As a tribute to Denis's work, it would be a good project to complete the transcription. That is, add bar lines, write out rhythms, put in chord symbols, etc.

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is the transcription with standard notation/rhythms, synced with the video:

https://www.soundslice.com/scores/103302/

I'm only about 1/3 of the way done, but figuring out the rhythms and bar lines for this one is much easier than the transcription work Denis did!

Adrian
    JosechikyBuco
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    adrian wrote: »
    As a tribute to Denis's work, it would be a good project to complete the transcription. That is, add bar lines, write out rhythms, put in chord symbols, etc.

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is the transcription with standard notation/rhythms, synced with the video:

I'm only about 1/3 of the way done, but figuring out the rhythms and bar lines for this one is much easier than the transcription work Denis did!

Adrian
    Wow,great job!Thank you so much for this,Adrian! =)

@Josechiky 4 pages into it your perseverance paid off, I'm impressed with that if not with your willingness to give it a go yourself.
    Now seriously, are you going to learn to play this?
    Josechiky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Wow. I was sorta prompting @Josechiky to finish it all off. The unexpected surprise is how giving this community is. Pay it forward, when you can, sir.
    BucoadrianJosechikypickitjohn
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    edited July 2017 Posts: 122
    Buco wrote: »
    @Josechiky 4 pages into it your perseverance paid off, I'm impressed with that if not with your willingness to give it a go yourself.
    Now seriously, are you going to learn to play this?

Thanks for asking, @Buco, I'm in the process of learning it in my scarce spare time.Anyway,asking for help to transcribe this song did not arise overnight from a passing whim. I had previously been working on it by myself and learned several parts, but the fastest ones were resisting me, hence I decided to open a thread and ask for some help to more experienced in this kind of works.

When I got the PDF with the notes written down from Denis, I clearly had in mind sharing it here with all of you. So now you have a free transcription to work through by yourself, because you have downloaded it, haven´t you? You can do it at you please :-), at your own pace. I´ll do it my way and maybe other one not so deft could take advantage of it and from the excellent work done by Adrian :-).

If there is any issue with the thread of the post, I could delete it, so just let me know.
    Buco
    @Josechiky just know I meant that in a light-hearted way. And I honestly really your perseverance is a good quality to have and that the result of it wouldn't have have happened if you didn't stick it through.
    I didn't download it yet but you might convince me to do it and learn it.
    See how you cajoled me into it?
    Josechiky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    adrian wrote: »

Adrian

That was very generous Adrian, I think I have complimented you before on your clear scores which I have admired, maybe you were too busy to notice.

I agree that it is easy to figure out the rhythms etc since Jamey Aebersold published them in his Charlie Parker Omnibook in 1978 and that is certainly the source for the Head as Moignard plays it.

It might be an idea for players to occasionally use the same source material as pros if they want to see things from their perspective. To know how the piece works, why these particular fingerings were selected etc. recognise the arpeggios even when they go down a sixth in the middle of a line instead of up a third, note that upper structures are allways approached from the third in the lower octave etc. Maybe play it all in one octave to see these things clearly and work on a personal view of fingering, etc etc.

D.
    Josechikyadrian
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    That's very generous of Jose, credits go to him for hiring me! I told him he could do whatever he wanted with it ;-)

Man, I wish all my transcriptions could be like this. It's about 4 times faster when I don't have to write rhythms or ornaments!!!

Cool that Adrian is putting all the rhythms too

Just a quick note on my transcription, I modified a few notes here and there when the playing wasn't always clean. I used my knowledge of their style and the song to help fill in certain gaps.

I'm curious as to how Adrien intended to play the melody, because he doesn't play it exactly the same way both times; it could be that his fingers slipped . I would have to compare with other versions of the same song.

As I always say, improvised music is not meant to be written down. So much is lost in the tiniest of nuances when writing music down. A huge part of improvisation is the most subtle of nuances in the interpretation!

JojoJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • music is in the spaces between the notes
    Josechiky
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    dennis wrote: »
    That's very generous of Jose, credits go to him for hiring me! I told him he could do whatever he wanted with it ;-)

No credits or merits at all for me,you did the hard job and Adrian put the cherry on the cake with that fine conversion of the transcrption into a Soundslice file :).