DjangoBooks.com

rhythm type in Double Jeu by Stochelo Rosenberg

Hello,

Does anyone know the name of the rhythm type used in Double Jeu by Stochelo Rosenberg? And anyone know of a lesson or tip to learn it?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    I think it's just kind of a modern jazz waltz. Use the slow downer on Youtube and try to copy Nouche's technique, feel and sound. I think it's about keeping the right hand moving and damping at the appropriate time with the left???
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah that too??? Whatever you call it, a waltz feel with syncopation added in the certain spots. I think the damping gives the syncopation feel. Honestly never really thought about it much. More of a feel/sound thing I guess. I should probably study his technique.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,730
    What I play is a...I think it's what I do...
    -constant 1/16 note strums on the right hand in the 6/8 tempo (one down stroke and one up stroke on each beat)

-while sounding the chord on the 1st beat

-then top of the 2nd beat (right between the 2nd and 3rd beat)

-then on the 4th beat

-then on the top of the top of the 5th beat (right in between beats 5 and 6) and the rest of the beats are muted.

You can make a lot of nuanced variations on this as the guys who are really good at it do to change dynamics while keeping the beat going but I think that's the basic idea.

The easiest one is to make the right hand push slightly "harder", or give a faster whip on the beats 1 and 4.

This is much easier played then explained in writing, if you want me to I can make a quick video.

PS trying to make it more visual
    c=chord
    d=damp
    1&2&3&4&5&6
    cddcddcddcd
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    I think it is a Venezuelan Waltz.

Quavers are not swung like a jazz waltz. There is, more often than not, an accent on the fourth quaver which makes it seem artificially like 6/8. But there is also an accent on the fifth quaver which maintains the Waltz feel.

Lots of great Venezuelan Waltzes to explore. Lauro is a good start. One of the Django fake books has a Lauro piece misnamed. For a great survey of Latin American dance forms for solo guitar I would recommend to anyone, who doesn't need tab, this excellent book...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JORGE-CARDOSO-PIEZAS-SUDAMERICANAS-GTR/dp/0711943281/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499454744&sr=8-2&keywords=Jorge+Cardoso

The polyrhythm can also be extended to two bars with motifs in 3/2 in a Venezuelan waltz.

Basically you need to work real hard with the metronome to enjoy this feel as any inaccuracy will destroy the polyrhythms and will upset you and the other players even if it seems to be holding together in 3/4. Every quaver needs to be bang in time and you need to be able to accent any pattern smoothly without introducing any unintended rubato.

D.

None
  • There used to be a youtube of Stochelo showing Nousche how to play it on their website back in the day when they had a bunch linked
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 3,319
    I think this is the basic feel?

1&2&3&
    / / X / / X

/ = sound
    X = damp

Sound means grip with the left hand. Damp means damp/lift with the left hand.

The right hand keeps going down up down up the whole time.
  • its definitely 6/8 time and while it changes around a bit .....what I hear after the extended intro is ...using Bones but adding ^ being an accented beat sometimes it sounds like a muted rake. goes by pretty fast

///^x/
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    its definitely 6/8 time
    ///^x/

To my ears the melody is not in six eight.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Anyone have a leadsheet or chord chart? Cool song.

thanks
  • writing it as six beats to a bar with a two feel for the rhythm is the simplest way