DjangoBooks.com

Nuages, Django's versions

JojoJojo London UK
in Repertoire Posts: 190
I was a little surprised to find out that Django recorded Nuages 15 times (according to Djangopedia). I thought it was only a few times, so..... has anyone done an analysis of each one? I've listened to a few starting at 1940 and the solos seem similar. I was wondering if he approached it differently as time went on? I'm wondering if those with keener ears than mine and know his style much better than I, could see his playing progress over 13 years? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    edited June 2017 Posts: 426
    Yes of course! Nuages is great to listen to the different styles of Django. He recorded it with almost every formation he had.
    If you go to this page
    http://www.papabecker.com/musik93.htm#Nuages1
    you will be able to listen to each of them and get a little comment about each version.

One of my favorite versions is the one he recorded solo to be used as a soundtrack for a movie in 1951

And if you are interested some of the recordings (the ones with clarinet) are fully transcribed here (it is still a work in progress)
    http://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/
    Bucopickitjohn
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Thanks for that @PapsPier. Very helpful!
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Yes, @stuart , I read it was also something that was played a lot in Britain too as a 'unifying' song during the war. (I like that Delauney story :) )
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,730
    I'm listening to them as I type and yet again find his ability to constantly reinvent amazing.
    It's not even his choice of putting the notes together that is fascinating but the rhythmic patterns that keep changing and the new ones emerge over and over with no end in inspiration is what's perplexing to me.
    Sure he recycles a lot too but it's the slight of hand and the illusion he creates with the rest of it that none of it ever the same.

PS and what a tour de force of a musical adventure and expedition that was.
    In the solo version he recorded in '51, to me it sounded like he was at the same entertaining himself as he was playing live. He would land on the chord and keep strumming it and loving what he was hearing; the timbre of the guitar, the richness, the overtones, the harmony... before deciding to move on to the next discovery.
    His mastery of the guitar was so great by then that it was like two completely separate persons he embodied at the same time, one being able to play at this insanely high level and one being completely relaxed and happy what he was hearing coming out of the instrument just enjoying the moment.
    Crazy, just crazy...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel