DjangoBooks.com

Help with Enclosure Lick on Bridge of "Lulu Swing" Recording

edited May 2017 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 33
Hi all,

I've been hooked on the original Lulu Swing recording by the Hans'che Weiss Quintett. There are some great ideas inside and out on this one. One question I have is the "melody" so to speak at the bridge. It's very embellished, and has an extremely fast enclosure style phrase towards the end, starting around 0:33. I believe the run is ascending over the V (A chord) however, I could be wrong. Has anybody figured this one out? It's played during both heads. Oh, and the recording seems to not be in tune to 440...

Here's a reference:

Thanks-

Michael

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Michael, yeah that recording is pretty poor fidelity. Not sure if it was sped up too and they got the pitch correction wrong or something because it is not in tune.

Here's Samy Daussat's take on that lick and a better fidelity vid. Set your Youtube loop from 00:42 to 00:45 and set the speed to .5 and it seems like a two finger enclosure deal a half step above each note in an A triad and a half step below.

Also, the lick over the E7 chord is the pseudo chromatic descending lick.
    Michael S Harrington
  • Bones, thanks for sharing that link. I had NO idea you could slow down YouTube videos (since when?!?), let alone keep the pitches the same-
    thanks!

I spent some time checking out the way Sammy's playing it in the video.. and I think I've got it (see attached). I'm unsure about the picking at the beginning of the second system. It's not as awkward as it appears on paper.. but I originally played it by fretting the 6th string when I first heard it. It's the pitches A - G# - A. However, I wrote it out the way that I believe Sammy pulls it off during the video.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    oh yes, i think that's right. what program did you use to create that tab?
  • Bones wrote: »
    oh yes, i think that's right. what program did you use to create that tab?

Bones, I just used Sibelius.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    Here's my favorite version with the great Rino and the master Lulu side by side like they were for so long. RIP Lulu.

Michael S Harrington
  • Matt, thanks for sharing. That clip is great. Wish it was in HD!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,732
    Here's another one Lulu and Rino, Rino is so happy when Lulu nails that chromatic run, he's loving it.
    8:50:
    Michael S Harrington
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Thanks for sharing, Buco. The look Rino gets out of that is great. Man, that run was fast!!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, that is crazy fast!!! So Samy plays it a bit differently from Lulu's version.