DjangoBooks.com

Tuner Repair or Replacement??

Hi All,

My 3rd string tuner gear support piece has separated from the base plate.

Is it possible to repair this or do I need to replace the tuner? If it must be replaced can I get the same style/brand? It is on my older Patenotte.

Is there a way to post pictures on the forum? If so I will post a couple.

thanks

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Pictures. Hope it works.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    You can try a repair. The tab that holds the worm screw appears to have pulled away from the base plate. The tab looks to have a metal tenon that inserts into a mortise in the plate. When assembled, it was either staked with a punch or soldered. The former is more likely. This is a common approach.

To repair, take the tuner off the guitar and refit the tenon into the mortise. Spread the inside edges a bit with a punch and hammer. You will have to back the other end of the tab up with an anvil of some sort, preferably with a leather pad. Don't hit it too hard or the hole where the screw shaft resides will distort and make the tuner hard to turn. I've fixed ones like this before.

The worst that happens is this doesn't work for you and you have to buy new tuners. I think these are Gotoh tuners, but most (all?) three on a plate tuners are 35mm spacing, so most any will do. If the new axles are too big, you will have to ream the holes. This is best done with a straight ream (not tapered, I got mine via Amazon), not a drill bit. The drill bit will likely tear out some wood. The ream will be perfect. Go for a ream that is .010" or .1mm-.2mm over size. Most European axles for steel string are 6mm. In the US, some are 6.0mm, some are 6.5mm, some are 1/4". If the new axles are smaller than the holes, don't worry, they will be okay as is.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey thanks Craig. I'll give that a try and let u know how it goes.

I said I wanted to get back out in the shop. I guess I have to now. :-)