DjangoBooks.com

Bridge weight, big tones, etc

2»

Comments

• therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault
    edited April 2017 Posts: 47
    I'm wondering if the top has sunk in on my Hommage. The bridge is 23.75 mm (from guitar to top of bridge) on the bass side and my action is only about 2 mm at the 12th fret.

• therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault
    Just thought I'd check in on this. I ordered the highest DellArte bridge and carved it out internally (with a Dremel) to resemble the dimensions my friend's Zwinakis bridge (quite a bit removed). I also fitted the feet to the top. The action is maybe a bit high (about 3 mm on both sides, no shims) but it sounds so much better! Louder and brighter, much punchier.

A lot of people rip on the piezo sound. Of course a mic is better but I actually thought the piezo tone was workable with some eq. Blended with the mic is was sometimes great in a noisy room. However, the bridge was quite large in order to contain this pickup. I think that it was the weight of this bulky bridge killing my tone.

Buco
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,730
    It's what works for you or me or anyone else individually. No piece of gear is or is very rarely truly a piece of trash. It does leave room for fun comments. And it's good to have a different perspective.
    I used to use K&K pure floating bridge. Wasn't mad in love with sound but it was good enough with EQ. The reason I sold it, I couldn't keep the sound consistent between the soundcheck and the gig. Sounded good during soundcheck, feedback during gig. No idea why would a few people that showed up and a full band on stage make that much difference.
    I have an amp that I heard some people wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. More than adequate for me. If budget allowed me I can easily find something better.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    What the piezo manages to acomplish is to turn a 4k guitar into a 20 bucks ukulele (no hate against the uke), no other pickup does that as good as the piezo! I mean I see why people use it. Its convenient and it takes no time to set it up on stage. And it even works well in some jazz genres where there is alot of sound manipulation. But honestly for GJ just go with a mic.
    wim