DjangoBooks.com

Dupont bridge heights

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dupont-bridge

^ it comes in heights 16.5mm, 17.5mm, 19mm, 20.5mm, 22mm. How is the height measured? From where to where? Because, the top is curved ..

Comments

• edited April 2017 Posts: 4,730
    here's where it was asked before:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/6501/
    I'd just go with the closest to low E height and lower the bridge as needed while fitting to the top.
    Check with Caravan if they have bridges made by Dan Hunt in stock.
    I got one few years ago and love it, rings so nice when tapped by itself.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Same type of question; for guitars sold here the action is specified as one measurement. I have just assumed that it's the height of the high e string over the 12th fret. Is that correct?
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    One more thing.. How much is gonna a different bridge height mess up the rest of the guitar setup? Sometime ago I wanted to order a custom bridge for my guitar but I backed off because I was affraid that a lower bridge would cause neck problems..
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited April 2017 Posts: 541
    Nejc:
    A much lower bridge may affect your intonation, so you may have to move the bridge slightly closer to the neck, but it can't / won't "mess up" anything. Lower action could lower your volume, too, and if you lower it too much, you could get fret buzz.
    Nejc
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

(5 years later…referring to my scrawled notebook:)

A few years back I bought a Dupont bridge and measured it with a micrometer, with the base sitting on a flat machinist’s stone. The high spot was toward the center of the bridge, and it was super-close to the as-spec’d 19mm. It wasn’t totally flat across the bridge top, it had a built-in taper. That was what I wanted- it gave me a little leeway to finesse the action. I didn’t expect, and probably nobody should expect, a perfect adjustment-free fit with a new bridge (especially on a non-Dupont instrument).

That said, I actually don’t know what the Dupont replacement bridge factory numbers are supposed to measure (hi E? bridge peak?).