DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy Rosenberg pick

Hi guys
Does anyone know what pick Jimmy used/uses? I've heard it was a Dunlop Stubby but can anyone confirm this, and if so what type? I've seen video where although hard to tell it looked like he was using the red 1mm which seems light?

Comments

They're still pretty stiff picks even at 1mm, aren't they? But I doubt Jimmy is married to any one pick, I'm sure he can get his tone with just about any pick out there.
    But yeah, supposedly a lot of top players use Dunlop picks: stubby, gator grip, delrin...
    Zouny1
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Zouny1 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Does anyone know what pick Jimmy used/uses? I've heard it was a Dunlop Stubby but can anyone confirm this, and if so what type? I've seen video where although hard to tell it looked like he was using the red 1mm which seems light?

:'(

I've heard if you study his systematic left hand and right hand fingering system and draw a graph it spells out the name of the magical pick that he is really using.

You see the physical pick is just an illusion. That's why good players can get a great sound with any reasonable pick, as Buco correctly points out.

But the real pick is made of gypsy magic and will actually tell your hand how to play the guitar, in real time. It's invisible and wears the physical pick kind of like a pair of pyjamas.

They aren't cheap but, once you learn the secret name, they are well worth looking for, on the internet. They are made by wizards to help super talented adventurers find the magic inside them that is too often hidden by the humdrum of practice and joined up thinking.

D.
    Svanis1337NejcSpalo
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    In the Documentary "Jimmy Rosenberg The Father The Son The Talent "
    Jimmy's father show one of Jimmy's pick very worned out from many hours of playing. The pick is a Dunlop BigStubby 3mm.
    Buco
  • Zouny1Zouny1 Sydney Australia New
    Thanks guitarmike :)
    Nylon Dave
    No need for your condescending comments mate! I've been a professional musician for over 20years and use whatever feels good to me! The question was one out of interest in what I thought was a light weight pick for such a fiery player. Your one of the reasons I've avoided these forums in the past. If you've got nothing helpful to say why say anything at all!
    richter4208wimJojogitane007Oleoleo2
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Totally condescending and super lame. Welcome Zouny!
    Zouny1
    Thanks Richter
    I just want to add that it's been great so far and most people have been very helpful. Looking forward to corresponding here :)
    Jojo
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited April 2017 Posts: 462
    Totally condescending and super lame.

Yup.

Zouny, I am glad you are looking forward to corresponding, I don't much.

D.
    juanderer
    Thank Stuart
    I totally agree. Give me any guitar or amp and I'm happy but I always feel kinda clumsy if I don't have MY pick :)
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    edited April 2017 Posts: 98
    Well a bit of joking doesnt hurt anyone, does it?
    More than the pick, you should take a look with ur ears at his right hand. What really matters is the attack of the player. Some people tend to have a strong pick grip and a light attack, some like a verry loose grip and light attack, some prefer using a very hard rest stroke, some dont. Its a combination of all of the above and there is way more(even the left hand pressure is gonna change the tone. Also, ever thought where you pick the pick? Do you pick it with the tip of the thumb at the center of the pick or do you tend to pick it close to the joint and a bit more towards the tip of the pick. Is your right hand more flat or more angled? Ussually more angle is gonna increase the volume and the tone. There are numerous ways you can hit the strings and even which angle and secundary rotation of the pick you choose to prefer is gonna affect the tone you get way more than just the pick material, thickness etc.

I have heard Jimmy using different guitars and all kinds of picks (even stone picks) and he always gets the "same" sound out of the guitar.
    BucoDavidKOS
    I understand what your saying Necj, but every time I've tried a 1mm pick it always seems to have too much give for a rest stroke? Probably my technique.