DjangoBooks.com

DC Music School (first non-beta version) page live now!

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Soundslice + DC music school is a match made in heaven. Good to see :3
  • terrassierterrassier France
    I cant seem to log in to have a look ... anyone else ?
  • No problems here.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    terrassier wrote: »
    I cant seem to log in to have a look ... anyone else ?

Everything should be running smoothly. Drop me an email at [email protected] and tell me what exactly is happening — I'm happy to help!

Adrian

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Petrov wrote: »
    Wow. Thanks Denis! I've been waiting for this update. Will all courses eventually get the soundslice TAB treatment? For example, Gonzalo has, but not Giniaux. I'll be adding some courses for sure.

Great question, and I've been discussing an idea with Adrian, and I hope it can come to fruition.

But to answer your question directly: to be honest, it cannot be a priority for me right now for many reasons. The first reason is that my business model is absolutely ridiculous. Each and every single one of our products is full of transcriptions. I would dare say moreso than the vast majority (if not all) companies out there. All this for cheaper than most companies too. It's not that the other companies are overpricing or giving too little; it's that I gave way too much for way too little. It has to do with my personality though; I am the kind of guy who likes to make things as complete as possible, so when the artist has stuff to offer, I'm willing to take it all! I've already learned some lessons. While I still want to give as much as possible, I have to limit certain things (ie slow ballad / songs where there is no meter).

It takes so much time to make each transcription, and to do it accurately and also make it look nice. Then you add the fact that each product usually has the equivalent of 20-25 (etudes and lesson examples combined) songs fully transcribed, and that my site has over 50 products. That means there's at least 1000 transcriptions on the site. Ulf Wakenius Vol.3 , the lesson examples has 113 lesson examples, some of them were fairly long! Adrien Moignard Vol.3 , on top of the songs, the lesson examples are also very long.

To import this to soundslice would take so much time, because the import feature (while excellent) doesn't just automatically convert the Sibelius files into its format. Every song has to be corrected.

So... my idea with Adrian was to have some sort of interactive collaborative feature where users can make their own soundslice with a comment thread for discussion. I will continue to make the transcriptions in my format , but people will have this added feature. I hope it can be feasible.. We're just talking about it right now, and seeing how feasible it is.

On the other hand, I know Adrian is working on perfecting his soundslice notation system, and who knows, i may one day just switch to it.

But for now, I'm still using Sibelius, because I'm having to invent a lot of symbols for special techniques and ornaments.
    richter4208Petrov
  • Well @dennis I hope that you will be able to realize a reasonable rate of return in the long run. You have done a huge service for GJ and music in general.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    I really like the idea of the community collaborating together. At least the transcriptions are already done. It should just be the work of adapting to soundslice. I've never done this, so I can't comment really.

May I suggest for the time being adding a note in the course descriptions that do have the full TAB treatment.

The integrated TAB is very nice and I would even pay more to have that option. But really the biggest feature for me is the slow down and loop functions that are there now for all (?) courses. Thanks again.

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Its really nice to be able to slow things down! Thanks Denis!!!!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Don't thank me! Thank Adrian, he really did everything! His technology is incredible. He's a true pioneer!
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Wow just checked the updated site (wanted to give it some time)...it is amazing, slowdown feature is huge, great job Dennis and Adrian!