DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz in Mexico

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
I am going to do a quick tour of central Mexico and will be visiting Morelia, Queretaro, Guanajuato, Gudalajara, finishing at the beach in Barra de Navidad in January. I may or may not take my Martin Backpacker guitar, but am interested in meeting players and attending gigs or concerts. I am hoping to visit Guitarras Manouche, a luthier in Guadalajara. Please advise if you know of any GJ venues.
BluesBop HarryElí Saúl

Comments

• Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    I hope you have a great time! i really have no clue of much Gypsy Jazz activity on the country other than Mexico City, i believe there's some jam sessions to come on this holidays, maybe in guadalajara there's some activity! i have no clue bout Morelia ueretaro or Guanajuato, but i hope there is !
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Back from two weeks in Mexico and am happy to report that Gypsy Jazz is alive and well. In Guadalajara, I visited Carlos Topete, the luthier at Guitarras Manouche and the one guitar I tried, which retails for around $550 US, was definitely a step up from my old Gitane or Paris Swing. Carlos reports that he sells every GJ guitar he makes and there is a well attended Monday night jam at Rendezvous Cafe de las Artes.
    On a Sunday afternoon in Ajijic, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Django tune while walking toward the plaza. It turned out to be nice trio of gypsy jazzers who live in the area. They had purchased their guitars from Carlos at Guitarras Manouche in Guadalajara.
    When I visited Barra de Navidad, I discovered there is a gypsy jazz show at Hotel Bogavante Thurs. evenings. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend.
    I took my Martin Backpacker and was allowed to carry it on the plane by Alaska Air, safely tucked in a closet. In spite of all the beautiful scenery, I actually practiced between 30-45 minutes daily while visiting Guadalajara, Chapala, Ajijic, Morelia and Barra de Navidad.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,457
    We have a few forum members living in Mexico. Enrique, who is BluesBop Harry on here, is in Mexico city. @Jazmin is in Cancun

(edit: thanks Nick for the correction!)
    BluesBop Harry
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Juan is spanish, though Blues Bop Harry and the Hot club of Mexico are located in Mexico city. Enrique, Alfredo and Leo are great guys and fantastic musicians as well.
    BluesBop Harry