DjangoBooks.com

New Django 1947 (bebop) transcriptions

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in Repertoire Posts: 426
Hi all
do you like the sound of Django and the clarinet quintet when they first tried to sound modern/bebop?
If so you may be interested in having a look at the transcriptions of the first electric Django recordings I published on this website.
The stories behind each title are in French. I am sorry if you are not able to get it... I ll probably make a translation later ths year.

I think I found two interesting things during my researches:
- Duke and Dukie as played nowadays is not as Django intended it. I let you compare the versions of Django and Rostaing to the versions of Stochelo, Christian van Hemert, Mozes Rosenberg... Because nowadays gypsy jazz is more guitar centered, I think that this song has been slightly altered to fit a traditional structure; melody A, melody B, impro and back to melodies. But I think that this song was really intended as a dialogue between two solists: what Django plays is interesting only because Rostaing is answering (with something Django "wrote" for him). I would say that the tune is defined more by some structures rather than by melodies.
- the inspiration for Duke and Dukie could be the tune Jumpin Punkins by Duke Ellington. It was one of the songs in the repertoire of the Duke during the tour with Django in 1946. The idea is similar.

This session is great because:
- you have the first blues recorded by Django with electric guitar (definitely different than the minor blues)
- you have three tunes that have been recorded twice each
- you have reference versions of Songe d automne (same arrangement as the one played by Fapy later) and Just one of those things (crazy swing)

Anyway, if you want to listen to these recordings again, play Django solos or even have fun with the clarinet parts, follow the link https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/2016/07/09/1947/
(scroll down to the sessions of 21 Mai 1947). If you need also some inspiration when playing the main melody, I also transcribed that.

So you will found
Babik
Duke and Dukie
Del Salle
Just One of those things
Porto Cabello
Songe d automne
andoatagn

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,261
    Hey Paps. I really need you to do your transcriptions in some form that I can download. :'( Some great solos there. :)
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    edited January 2017 Posts: 426
    Oh really you can not access the tux guitar files?
    For you I would do anything, let me know what is good for you? :)

And you re right, definitely great solos. There are some really nice riffs to work on.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    PapsPier wrote: »

pdf =)

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Ok I will look into that. I don't provide pdf right now because I dont like the rendering I am getting but I will generate some so at least something is available before I have a decent pdf version.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Paps!!! Great writeup on D&D!
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    PapsPier wrote: »

pdf =)

TuxGuitar is free and lets you export to PDF.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Yes but it is ugly ;(
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Agreed but it's a "band-aid" that Teddy can use while you find a more permanent solution. ;)

Also, thank you for the work you do for the page! I've been collecting the tuxguitar files with each update. :)
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Wow, what a great site you have, and I really appreciate all the time you put into it. I am crazy about the late Django stuff, since obviously I play guitar and clarinet. To me these last sessions are every bit as impressive at the early and honestly, its nice to hear an expanded tonal palette, more than just the admittedly phenomenal string players.
    Thank you, thank you thank you!
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Thank you! I am happy to see that I am not the only one interested in that. It is true that most of the Djangophiles are mainly focused on the first period but Django changed so much throughout his career/life.

And at first, I had issues to enjoy Django music: I know there was something but I was not caught until I listened the 1947 clarinet sessions.