DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo Lick Help

ghodaddyyoghodaddyyo The slums of OCNew
edited May 2006 in Technique Posts: 41
Anyone know that repetitive triplet lick Stochelo uses in practically all his songs? Most notably when his solo climaxes in Bossa Dorado? It sounds like it starts off with a hammer-on and the lick is moveable all over the neck.

Any help appreciated.
"Aw, that's just pillow talk baby!"

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    when does his solo climax? maybe you're confusing triplet with 16th notes? is it that diminished arpeggio thing?
    e 3     3 6      6 9
    b     2         5
    g   3         6             etc....
    d
    a
    e

then again he doesn't use that all the time.... otherwise i don't seem to recall stochelo doing any triplet licks on bossa dorado (or in bossas in general)..
  • ghodaddyyoghodaddyyo The slums of OCNew
    I know that lick from the Gypsy Picking book. I thought it might be that one and I've been working on it quite a bit, but I can't make it sound right. The lick does seem to move around the neck in that same tri-tone fashion, but I can't help but think the first note hammers on to the second note. I wish I could post a sound sample but I don't know how. The lick reminds me a little bit of the Mark Knopfler repetitive pull-off lick he does on Sultans of Swing as the song fades out.

If it is the lick above, then it must be played dauntingly fast, cause I've been playing it to the speed of the Gypsy Picking book and beyond, but still can't get that sound. I'm gonna run it through Transcribe and slow that sucker down to see if that gives me more insight.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that one that starts something like this (over Dm)?

-12---------12--10---------10--12---------12--13---------13--
    ---------10--------------10--------------10-------------10---
    -----10--------------10--------------10-------------10-------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

etc., then it moves up to E7...it might start with a D, I can't remember off the top of my head. Dennis, you [i]must [/i]have this already written out somewhere! Save a brother some typing...

Best,
    Jack.

P.S., I just noticed Michael includes this lick (at least I'm assuming it's this one) in one of his online lessons: [url=http://tinyurl.com/qvkvu]http://tinyurl.com/qvkvu[/url]

Hope that helps...
  • ghodaddyyoghodaddyyo The slums of OCNew
    I'll have to try it when I get home, having internet troubles lately. I need to get a new DSL modem.

I've been working on the diminished run like Dennis posted first. It does sound very similer if I play it at Yngwie Malmsteen speeds but I can't pull that off consistently clean yet. Need more metronome work. I still can't help but to think there's some hammer-on, pull-off action going on and it definitely moves in tri-tones.
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    It's like Jack said: that's the pattern and you just follow he chord progression.

Just get this transcription of "Chega de Saubade":

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/chega.ptb

to see how Stochelo uses it and what voicings he uses (it's le longest passage I know where he uses this device).
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    holy crap, that's the very first transcription i ever made back when i started getting interested in this style... that transcription must be 4-5 yrs old! lots of fingering mistakes... anyway there are no hammer ons for that sweep-arpeggio run