DjangoBooks.com

New member looking for used guitar

Comments

• Let's complicate the issue with my suggestion. Someone in this thread made a valid point: if you're bitten by the GJ bug and hang on for over a year or so, you're going to want a luthier made guitar as much or more than you want a cheap one now. I bought a used Gitane 250m and while it served a purpose, before long I outgrew it. I was lucky as I sold it back to the guy I bought it from. If I were you, and I knew that I loved this music, I'd play it on a flattop or archtop until I could buy a great guitar.
    My 2¢.
    Godin 5th Ave kingpin ii cw?

I just don't know if I'll dig the p90s in the kingpin, then I'll be spending more to drop a benedetto pu in there....the set up...blah blah blah....

Maybe the Pat Metheny sig model?

I just spent a decent amount of cash on a fretless birdsong bass. So......justifying this purchase of a gypsy guitar is a struggle. I just love the attack these strings make on my folk cedar. So on a GJ guitar it'll be amazing.

But.....

Right now I have a few offers from the forum that I am mulling over.

Gitane 250m
    Patenotte 254
    Cigano gj15

And of course.....the gj10 on musicians friend.

????aaahhhhh
    Doesn't it have a laminated top and no truss rod?
  • If you're really bitten, you won't play any other guitar or music for quite awhile. I haven't touched my 65 Gretsch, 74 Tele Custom, or even my Martin in years. I sold a luthier made mando and Deering banjo to get my Dupont and have never regretted it. In my mind, GJ takes total focus and made it tough for me to play any other kind of music, nor did I really want to! This happens to a lot of folks, which is the only reason I suggest skipping the beginner guitar and getting a great one. You wouldn't buy a bottom of the line Les Paul copy, would you? You didn't scrimp on the bass. Sell something!
    t-bird
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Doesn't it have a laminated top and no truss rod?

I think at least some Patenottes have solid tops, and my DiMauro has no truss rod, but the neck straighter than my truss rod equipped Gibson, and makes for a super-light guitar.
    Any other information on the patenotte? I just Skyped about the exact guitar and it's in great shape. Sounds fat....Maybe plucky. But sings with the tone it's supposed to have. What's the going price for one of these? It's a vintage instrument, maybe 70s. Solid top. Who knows about these on the forum?

And yeah....I try not to skimp.
    The patenotte is a 254 in great shape just some minor fretboard marks from fingernails and whatnot. Like I said before there's something about the sound that was a bit off to me but the strings were real old. I ment plunky....not plucky.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Assuming no bad cracks and the neck is straight, I'd go with the Patenotte.
    Why?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 51
    It's a bit more expensive