DjangoBooks.com

American lead guitarists

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    From the first post, which appears to be just a rant thinly disguised as an innocent question, I knew this thread would descend into either
    1) a disastrous flame war, or
    2) several pages of philosophical waffle
    I'm not sure which is worse ... :s
    ChrisMartinBucoterrassier
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited December 2016 Posts: 462
    Ah Wim, I fear I must join you in the third and unmentioned, in your post, third circle of hell known as Glibtwitter.

Please be assured though that I, too long in the tooth to crave detachment,far preferred the other two you mentioned, they are less contrived.

But I am easily lead.

How did you get on with the fingering I suggested by the way, you never mentioned if you had tried it ? I assumed you wouldn't but that seldom stops me trying.

Oops that's me just slipped into the fourth circle, throwing pearls again, and not just before but after too. I like it better here, well a little better anyway. Well, I loathe it less.

Damn it if I shouldn't just go right ahead and call it home.

:/

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    From the first post, which appears to be just a rant thinly disguised as an innocent question, I knew this thread would descend into either
    1) a disastrous flame war, or
    2) several pages of philosophical waffle
    I'm not sure which is worse ... :s

Hey - maybe it was a little rant, but it got some good discussion going! And still, who are some of the best American players? I'm not asking for anyone to be thrown under the bus.
  • PA-AndyPA-Andy Pennsylvania New Dupont md 100
    I wonder if there are European jazz guitar forums where people are wondering where are the guitarists since 1953 of the same caliber of,in no particular order: John Scofield, Mike Stern, Pat Metheney, Julian Lage, George Benson, Cal Collins, Wes. .
    t-bird
    Sick for Django
  • PA-AndyPA-Andy Pennsylvania New Dupont md 100
    Should have said where are the European guitarists of the same caliber
    Sick for Django
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Addressing the original question, I'm going to say Paul Mehling is the most authentic sounding US born player. one Caveat is that this is based on seeing him live in the last 5 years, which showed his abilities better than his older recordings in my opinion. He has continued to improve and evolve even after playing this style for many decades.
    I would go as far as to say that his playing is as or more authentically "gypsy" or more to the point "Django" sounding than many european players I've seen in my 5 years at Django in June.
    And another point on this thread is that many of the european players sound like quote typewriters when they play. It's not just us here in the US.

Other US players I like -
    Sami Arefin
    Adrien Holovaty

Cheers,
    Anthony
    AndrewUllejonpowlBillDaCostaWilliamst-bird
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Thanks for your response, Anthony - I'll check those players out!
  • terrassierterrassier France
    Last year at Samois there was a tent of (what I took to be) young Gypsy lads playing not far from where Adrien Moignard was playing in another tent .... hearing them live and been able to walk from one to the other highlighted to me like never before how different GJ can be.
  • One man's obscenity is another man's daily world. All our judgements are personal and influenced or driven by our personal history.

If a piece of music speaks to you there is something there for you to learn from it. If not, then there is something there for you to learn about yourself. You get to choose what you do with that. I think the important thing is to work on your technique, and work on your musicianship in ways that work for you, taking you on to your own goals.

In trying to judge the art of others. Salvador Dali, one of the true masters of his art, put it so very well. "Painter, no matter how hard you try to paint badly, it will still be evident if you are mediocre."

Whether one's goal is to play in a weekly jam, or connect with an audience on some emotional level while performing, if you are expressing yourself and finding fulfillment, that is what is truly important. Its the journey not the destination for art is truly a journey with no end point.
    pickitjohn
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 Posts: 349
    I happen to like playing Western Swing and old time jazz standards, some of which are Django and GJ tunes. I've also gotten to dig rags and sleepy time down south New Orleans stuff (kind of drifted into via GJ). I like using my Dell Arte Homage GJ guitar for this stuff as the tone and volume helps keep up with banjos, fiddles and mandolins. There are a few American players that kind of cross categories, based in So Cal worth checking out and also use GJ guitars: John Reynolds (also plays a Tricone, great singer), Tom Marion, Dave Stuckey (great singer and drummer, plays a Loar archtop) Jeffrey Paul Ross and Tele 59 (the guy who posts from Ventura, plays with Jill Martini)....also Jesse Jay Harris (relocated to Austin) and +1 for Dave Biller in Austin. Almost forgot Whit Smith from the Austin based Hot Club of Cowtown. Fantastic variety of material that fits the style so well. An absolute chord monster (good singer and writer to boot). Ok, I better stop.
    Mi dos centavos.
    Swang on,
    Stevearenom