DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• 10thfretBlues 10:19PM

Today's Birthdays

Jehu olivierb bhepp9 margimunson JezG

Musicians on Tati Films?

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited February 2005 in History Posts: 265
I just got back from a screening of Jacques Tati's film Playtime and got to thinking about the music in it and his other films. Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle feature quite a bit of jazz and musette-type score. Were these scores played by anonymous session musicians, or were there contributions by some of the folks we discuss here in this forum? The tune "Quel Temps Fait-il a Paris" was featured prominently in Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Was it written for that film, or just adapted from an existing song? I've heard Gus Viseur play it.

- Rod

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,

The song "Quel temps fait-il à Paris ?" is a composition from Alain Romains from 1952. The film "Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot" is from 1951-1952. So I think the song has been composed for the film. Alain Romans made the music for "mon oncle", too. Unfortunately I don´t know the personnel of the recording session.

The Song has been interpreted by Lucienne Delyle,too. The words are written by Henri Contet.

Best wishes

Barengero
  • andyandy New
    Hi there,

There is a CD collection of music and dialogue from the films 'Jour de Fete', 'Mon Oncle', 'Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot', and 'Playtime' available on the 'Travelling' label. I have a copy, but there's no list of personnel. The music for 'Playtime' is by Francis Lemarque, and the jazz sequence from that film is on the disc.

Amazon france has a copy:
    http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 85-7692101

Cheers,
    Andy
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I have that CD, and another one called "Extraits de Bandes Originales des Filmes de Jacques Tati," released on the Philips label, which has several score pieces from the same films, but without dialogue and sound effects. Unfortunately, it lists no personnel either.

The Viseur version of "Quel Temps..." contains some nice electric guitar work, but the CD I have list the personnel as "unknown." Does anyone have any ideas who could have been playing on this session?

Thanks for the help!

- Rod
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I learned the theme from "Mon Oncle" a long time ago, it's a charming piece of music. The movie is really droll, too. My 7-year-old son loves it. I've never heard Viseur's version of "Quel Temps...". During the 60s he made many recordings with Rene Duchaussoir and various second guitars - Francis Lanageur, Ernest Alesi (usually on electric guitar), and Leo Petit. It could have been any of these guys. Rod, do you have a recording date or a bit more information? With that, maybe I can clear it up.
    Cheers
    Scot
    Viseur's version of "Quel temps fait-il a Paris" is on the CD "De Clichy a Broadway." The session is from Paris, May 3, 1955.

For those interested, that CD also contains tunes from a later session (June 1962) featuring a very young Boulou Ferré on electric guitar.
    François Ravez found some interesting information on Alain Romans, the composer of "Quel temps...":

"Alain Romans was born in Czestochowa in 1905. In 1931-1932 he played with André Ekyan, Stéphane Grapelly, Django Reinhardt and Alix Combelle at 'La Croix du Sud'. He played at the Bricktop in 1934. In 1938 he played at the Cabaret 'Chez Michel' where he shared the keyboard with the Belgian Clément Doucet. He played also with Michel Warlop. Also at 'Princes's' where he could be heard with Django and violinist Bela Rex."

Excellent detective work. Thank you very much, Mr. Ravez!
    Alain Romans even recorded with Django.

Alain Romans and his orchestra made the accompaniment for Léon Monosson (vocal) on 9. Febr. 1935. The orchestra included (beneath others) Michel Warlop (v), Alain Romans (p) and Django Reinhardt (g).

They recorded

"Deux Cigarettes dans l´ Ombre" (Columbia CL 5220-1)

and

"Tout le Jour, toute la Nuit" (Columbia CL 5221-1)

(Fellows, I love this forum)

Barengero
    Now I found an interesting line up of Alain Romans from probably the early 50´s:

Alain Romans & His Rhythmics:

Pathé Record (Green & Gold Label) 10" PG 332:

Medley sur Des Ouvres de Cole Porter
    a) You´re on the top
    b) Roselle
    c) In the still of the night

Medley sur Des Ouvres de Irving Berlin
    a) Let´s keep coming back like a song
    b) White christmas
    c) A pretty girl … melody
    d) Always

Alain Romans (p),
    Jean Jeremie (b),
    Sarane Ferret (g) (!),
    Jerry Mengo (dr)

Maybe this is the same lineup as in the Tati film? Who knows…?

Best regards

Barengero