DjangoBooks.com

Help with this lick!

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Technique Posts: 432
This is a lick Angelo Debarre plays in the B section of Topsy over C7. The descending triplets seem to defy using a nice DUD triplet pattern. I know the notes could be arranged to accommodate alternate picking but I don't think that's how he does it. And he does variations of this a lot. Anyone played this pattern of have a suggestion? Thanks!

Comments

• paul.provostypaul.provosty New Orleans, LANew Altamira M01
    Is there video of this lick?
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Not that I know of.
    Honestly it looks like you have the correct picking marked off to me.
  • which version of topsy? at what time location?
    Not every triplet lick follows the DUD "rules." As much as players may tout that they use strict, authentic gypsy style picking, you will always find that they somehow or subconsciously break the supposed "rules" in their playing. Do what feels natural and comfortable for you to play. And if you can achieve the same tone, sound, and feel then whatever!! It's all good
    Petrov
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you need to explain what is wrong with the picking you have marked off. As Paul says, it looks right. Thats how I would pick that pattern.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I think this is how he picks it. But it doesn't feel as smooth at high speeds as say straight DUD triplets. And I figured I'd see what people thought before I keep plugging along. Suffice it to say I can't do this at 200 bpm! Thanks for the input! Jim it's from the version on the gipsy unity album.
  • Your suggested picking pattern feels about right to me, Charles. I can't do it at 200 bpm too.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 2,159
    that's a very standard lick and I would personally play it that way too. It's also highly likely that Angelo plays it like that too... Guys like yorgui loeffler would sweep backwards on the descending portion... go for what sounds best to you

It doesn't always have to be DUD it's misconception. Generally, you start new strings with a downstroke, and that's it.. And even then, it's not a hard rule
    Charles Meadows
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,730
    Here's the alternative (though you said the notes could be arrange to allow alternate picking so maybe this what you had in mind...):
    once you get to the high E string, keep the alternate picking all the way to the E note.
    Then instead of retracing your fingering on the descending part, play the C note on the B string.
    That way you'll end up keeping alternate picking and still stick to downstroke on each new string change convention.

Instead of writing out a tab (honestly, my mind sometimes gets in a knot when I have to write out U/D picking), I made a quick video.
    Two fingers are only for easier visualization.
    Pardon my electric, I have to practice quietly these days.

paul.provosty
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel