DjangoBooks.com

Favorite Composition

2»

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Nwilkins

You're right Jojo swing does sound a hell of a lot like Noto Swing, but I did mean Just one for Babik in my original post. Jojo does bear a better resemblence though weird!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Nwilkins

You're right Jojo swing does sound a hell of a lot like Noto Swing, but I did mean Just one for Babik in my original post. Jojo does bear a better resemblence though weird!

When I first heard Just One for Babik (another favorite), I thought it sounded like Noto as well. The chords are different, sure, but the opening of the melody, once you transpose it, is exactly the same for both tunes. Maybe this is the hidden Method Saussois-just make it sound like Noto!

Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Well Jojo swing is an unabashed copy of Noto Swing - same chord progression and even the name gives you a clue since Jojo sounds a lot like Noto.
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    "Adieu Latcheben" by... isn't this Koen De Cauter's? Mournful and dark.

Ando, I believe that 'Adieu Latcheben' is not exactly a composed song but is based on a splendid russian (?) folk tune called 'Sini Platochek' (it means something like 'the blue shawl').

Best

François RAVEZ
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Thanks, Francois!

Fortunately, one's admiration for Koen can remain unscathed. :-)

Cheers,
    Ando
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    The first tune in "Gypsy jazz style" I ever heard has been "Lulu Swing". It was 1978 when the LP "Häns´che Weiß Quintett - Fünf Jahre Musik deutscher Zigeuner" was published. My elder brother bought this LP and I was allowed to be witness of its first use. The first take on the first Side was "Lulu Swing" and I was hooked on the spot. I never heard such a cheerful and elegant music before. And the teamwork of Häns´che Weiss and Lulu Reinhardt was so gorgeous. I always watched for a moment when my brother left his room, so that I could slip in and hear that record again and again. I loved the other tracks, too: Ma première guitare, Lass maro tschatschepen, Valse à Schwetzingen, Swing valse and so on. Then I began playing the guitar. It was several month later that a friend of my brother said to me: "If you love that kind of music, you should watch for records of a man called 'Django Reinhardt' - He is the inventor". I had never heard that name before, but I took the advice to my heart and soon I got some Vinyls of Django Reinhardt second hand.

But "5 Jahre Musik deutscher Zigeuner" is still my favorite record. There always can be one first time, I think.

Best regards,

Barengero
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    That is a great album, and one of the few albums of which I own an original vinyl copy :)