DjangoBooks.com

Learning gypsy violin?

Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
in Violin Posts: 85
Hi, just want to ask if learning the violin is really that difficult? I've been playing gypsy guitar for a couple of years now, and have been playing small gigs every now and then. I've managed to recruit other musicians to the gypsy style, but we are having difficulty finding a violinist and bassist. That said, I decided to learn to play violin, however, I don't know how to read music. Will that be a problem? Is there a 'gypsy approach' to learning violin as it is with the guitar? Basically, learning arpeggios, licks etc? I don't plan to be paganini-esque, just play melodies and maybe simple improv. Just to give our group a different tone when playing. As it stands, we are 3 guitarists and a trombone player :D

Comments

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    Most violinists learn as children, so how hard can that be? I was 10 when I took it up (pretty old by today's standards). Don't shy from learning to read music - it will open worlds of music to you. Again, children as young as 3 can do this so you can too. Bowing is way different from picking. Fifths tuning was invented by God himself. It is intuitive and symmetric. Intonation without frets is also a challenge.

I'm a decent classical violinist, and a decent bluegrass fiddler. Not a very good gypsy violinist yet. The good news is you can rent a decent fiddle just about anywhere to try it out for a while to see if it sticks. I really recommend getting a teacher, even if they don't know Stephane Grappeli from pasta. There is a lot to learn just to start sounding bad.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Hi Franz! if you want to try to be "Him" you can check this site:

francoisrequet.altervista.org/musique/partitions/grappelli/?doing_wp_cron=1457953974.6136369705200195312500

Best
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    Learn the basics, preferably with a good teacher. Once you can read, and figure out the bow, you will have access to all kinds of tunes, and you can apply yourself to Tim Kliphuis' book of Grappelli Licks. A book I use to teach beginning adults is Essential Elements 2000, Books 1 &2. Also check out the Etudes over on the DC Music School site. Good luck!
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew