DjangoBooks.com

How to turn down the volume of a GJ guitar

NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
So, this week I moved back to my apartment since the university lectures started, and I am having a slight issue (well my neighbors have it). I spend all my day in the library and I get home at about 10-11 PM, and then I usually spend a bit of time playing the guitar. The thing is that if i use a pick the neighbors can hear me and because everyone is sleeping I need to find a way to mute the guitar. Also it really started my nerves since I spend more time thinking if I am being too loud instead of enjoying the playing.

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Nejc

You could try a piece of Foam pipe insulation just in front of the bridge.
    It won't sound the same however it will QUIET THINGS DOWN.
    Nejc
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    seems like a good idea. I was thinking of putting something under the bridge to decrease the amount of vibration (like a violin mute). anyone tried anything like that?
  • A thin slice of soft silicone rubber maybe 1 mm thick should mute it somewhat

Alternatively, make a bridge out of a harder silicone rubber, or other sound dampening material. That will really dampen things down.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited October 2015 Posts: 98
    Gonna try to do that once I have some spare time. I have tried to put some paddding under the bridge (the kind of used under the tailpiece). Now its about 20% more silent, but its still too loud when I play rhythm.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 98
    I guess I will have to sell a kidney and then buy some acoustic foam.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,707
    The silicone rubber used in making oven mitts is pretty soft and about 1mm

Dont try and trim it close leave a cm or so all round.
    Nejc
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Try putting some tape over the bridge like that, sucks the sound right out.
    Nejc
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I bought a hollow body semi acoustic electric guitar so I could play late at night. Hitting the strings hard is part of the fun of playing gypsy jazz IMHO.
    Tried the tape thing and it worked perfectly!
    Yeah but first I need to get the feel for la pompe since I didnt practice it that much. Still an advice I am gonna try to follow.
    Well sadly I sold my electric guitar so I could buy a GJ guitar. At least now with the tape trick I can go hard on the strings!
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    Putting a sock in it (literlally) works too, underneath the bridge, that is. Used to do that in hotel rooms when practicing for traveling performances, especially in countries that take their siesta at 15:00 seriously ..