DjangoBooks.com

A newcomer becoming immersed in the world of Gypsy Jazz

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    I wish I could buy a new Nomade here for the price you can get in Europe, sheesh!
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    edited September 2015 Posts: 98
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    "there are 3 stages in a musicians career.....first they see how many notes they can put into a solo, then the transitional dawning of awareness of musicality......and finally, they see how many notes they can take out of a piece."

Its quite interesting how can you use one concept and apply it to all the arts.
  • Probably equivalent sayings in visual art and writing
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Orient-BlueOrient-Blue Manchester Gitane DG-255, Ovation Balladeer
    stuart wrote: »
    I'm based in the North-West too (Lancaster/Preston way). You're lucky, there's a good scene around these parts. As well as Matt&Phredds, there are good jams if you had out West towards Merseyside. There is a monthly jam with a headline act at the Beaufort Jazz club at the Junction in Rainford, first Monday of the month, and a regular jam nearby at the Derby Arms in Aughton near Ormskirk,
    I'm from Chorley, myself. I agree totally, the more I read and see what's happening there's a real thriving scene, it's so good to see. Would definitely love to jam in the future. I'm just really getting to grips with the gypsy technique at present, really enjoying watching and learning from Romane's instructional videos.

I've been looking at the Gitane DG-255 as an option as well, as it's my birthday soon. Or might wait a bit and go with something like a Dupont like you guys suggested. I read that this particular Gitane has a slim neck profile. but i'm going to see if I can try a Gitane in Manchester. I do manage to get a good sound from my beloved ovation using it direct into my computer with the reverb for solo playing, but the Selmer replicas do have a distinctive sound. Really grateful for the kind words of advice and encouragement from you guys.
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    My first musical mentor, who was a great swing jazz guitarist in the 40's and 50's always. Used to say "there are 3 stages in a musicians career.....first they see how many notes they can put into a solo, then the transitional dawning of awareness of musicality......and finally, they see how many notes they can take out of a piece."

The rest....that most overlooked wondefully rhy thmic device.

I can understand his reasoning with that, Jazzaferri. But not being limited in terms of proficiency and articulation is essential. Being able to play pieces that have certain fast or ostentatious phrases can be dramatic in the right context. This kind of reasoning seems to appear so frequently in guitar circles, with regards to technique. Yet you seldom see people that say similar things when discussing other instruments like the violin, for example Vivaldi's Four Seasons which features blistering runs. They create the right effect I'd say.
  • Years ago Kenny Werner was being interviewed after he played a wonderful concert. The interviewer asked him if he could have one musical wish granted what it would be. Kenny replied more technique. Given he is considered one of the top jazz pianists in the i dustry this confused the interviewer considerably. Kenny went on to explain that he when he played the thingbthat brought him back to earth was his mind conceiving something his hands could not attain.
    Nejc
    It's what keeps me going with music, is that I can never master it. It's the joy of the journey, I feel.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,707
    There are times the only way to say what one wants is to play a long fast passage.

There are times when the only way to say what one wants is with one long perfectly timed note.

And then there is all the rest in the middle. My only complaint about speed is when a player gets cuaght up in it and onlynplays fast. After several tunes of that I'm gone..
    Buco
    There are a lot for players that get caught up in that for sure
    I'm glad you mention this shop, as it's close to where I work, i'm going to call in soon and have a try of the Dell Arte guitar that I've seen on their website; Dell Arte Pigalle DG-P1. It looks like a great guitar.