DjangoBooks.com

which of these two books to buy

124»

Comments

• There is that funny story about a pianist (ithink) who's name I cant remember who hit a real clam performing with Bird, who said I hear you man, with a look of delight on his face.

The only mistakes in jazz improv are the notes you play that you think are mistakes....the rest are just more outside.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have played a few gigs with Virtuoso jazz guitarist Mimi Fox. She once played a solo on one of our gigs that was so outside sounding that I suspect she either did not have all the changes down to the tune or she got lost in the form. After the set, I mentioned that her solo on that tune was way outside sounding. She smiled at me and said that these days, nothing sounds "outside" to her anymore. I have not gotten to that level yet. To me, a bad note is still a bad note....
    BucopickitjohnMichaelHorowitzDaveyc
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Hahaha ....... so define a bad note...
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Any note can be used in passing, but a phrase should start and end on a chord tone or at a minimum some cool extension of the underlying chord such as a 9th. A competent jazz musician should be playing what he/she hears, not muscle memory licks or just random notes from a scale. Melody, groove and good note choices are what make a good solo. Playing pentatonic licks or just wiggling your fingers on the fretboard, that is just bullshit.
    MichaelHorowitzDaveyc
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Wiggling fingers and in my case blowing is a bunch of fun and impresses the audience in small doses.

HOWEVER I never make the mistake of thinking of it as musical artistry.