DjangoBooks.com

Best Amplification Rig for Rhythm-Only?

Am about to purchase a system to amplify my Gitane D500, used strictly for rhythm playing. Not interested in any of the clip-on or putty-on options.

Considering the K & K Definity+pre-amp, which seems to have positive reviews. Anybody tried or know about the K & K Trinity Pro? (this one).

Also would love to learn more about pickup alone vs. pickup + mic combinations.

Any help would be, um, helpful. :-) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @djon

Here's an old post you may find helpful...

Gypsy Jazz Amplification/Pickup System Overview

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/3850/
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I've never found an amplification system that sounds better to my ear than a mic especially for getting a good rhythm sound. While a mic is not always practical for lead, it has always worked for me on rhythm, even in very noisy bars. I use a clip on ( I know) AT mic and AI Corus acoustic amp. Floor stand mics work great if you have the room. Having a guitar that is loud enough to drive the mic is helpful.
    djon
    Jon check this out;
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/14015/bigtone-knock-off-bridge-for-sale-cheap#latest
    If you want it I'll send it your way. It came from John's D hole.
    djon
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    edited September 2015 Posts: 100
    A lot like K&K, but a lot less money, is the JJB piezo pickup. This guy is the same as the K&K referred to above, for ~$50 USD. This is the one I've installed in my Altamira, 3 fiddles, a mandolin, two octave mandolins, mandola, two mandocello, two other guitars, a banjo and an upright bass. I replace the jack it comes with depending on the application. The best preamp I've found for all around acoustic instrument use is the Redeye. I just recently got a Carvin AG300 acoustic amp, and it sounds better than anything else I've used yet.
    djon
  • djondjon Branford CT Gitane D500
    thanks everybody! I've also been looking at the JJBs, but hadn't seen Prestige-330, so thanks for that Mandobart. Any info on whether a 3-piezo would be better/worse than the 2-piezo?

Buco-Wanna send me that Bigtone knockoff so I can try it? I'll txt you my addr if that's cool...
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,707
    I have onlynplayed a few gigs with it so far but now that Inhave the combi rig on my DuPont working correctly it is the closest thing to a really good mic I have yet found.

McIntyre feather placed under the correct (bass) side of the bridge and an, as yet unidentified, (possibly lavalier) mic that's suspended by its cable alone about halfway between the bridge and the mouth about an inch below the top.

For me the best sound yet is my Neumann KMS 105 with ART gold tube preamp played through the PA system.
    djon
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    This piezo/contact mic stuff can sound fine but it won't be as natural as a mic.
    Remember I had a K&K pure Maccaferri pickup and was going to compromise with it's amplified sound, and it sounded decent, but I thought I was going to gain higher feedback resistance which I didn't so it made no sense to use it.
    The advantage is simplicity and it can be very clean looking if done internally.
    I use a Myers mic which clips to the soundhole like on the picture or a Krivo pick up depending on a place and/or my mood.
    But never both, mic plus a pickup to me is too much maintenance and clutter. I like the sound of both and with the Krivo pickup I can get a good rhythm sound too if I go into the Lunchbox.

I'll send you the "bigtone" bridge, it'd be nice if it finds a home. John will get a kick out of that too I'm sure.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    djon - I don't think the three head piezo adds anything extra to a floating bridge instrument with two contact points. I mount the twin head internally, on the soundboard where the bridge feet contact (or as close as bass bars, tone bars, bracing etc. allows). I mount the heads using blu-tak putty. Most luthiers super glue the heads in place. I use a switch jack through the tailpiece for an all internal, no exposed wire clean install.
  • djondjon Branford CT Gitane D500
    The two-piezo contact points makes sense, thanks for helping me see the obvious, Mandobart! The more I hear, the more I'm leaning toward both piezo and mic, internally. Don't mind the maintenance if I can get a good sound.

I'd love to put it through a mic alone but the way I'll be using it (looping, trumpet, and some singing), that's just too many mics and feedback gets to be a pain, also no pro sound guy, just me....

Was watching some of Wremble's latest vids and saw that he has two pickups (a Stimer and a piezo of some sort?) and the sound is pretty darn good (here).
  • Piezo's definitely have a particular sound to them. Personally I dont like the edge to them. Others feel differently.

You might do well to check out the McIntyre Feather and the few other technologies that are around before deciding. I hope I can find a way to take a pick of the setup in my DuPont
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed