DjangoBooks.com

No Gypsy Jazz players in New Orleans?

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Classifieds Posts: 335
You heard me right. In the city that gave birth to jazz, I'm having a hard time finding other dedicated gypsy jazz players.

I've tried, really! I put up a hand written card at a popular coffeehouse that features much live music. I've advertised on craigslist, looking for other players interested guitarists that I offered to accompany or teach what I've learned.

Oh, I know there are a couple of small bands that include a gypsy style guitarist and play a few gypsy jazz standards in their repertoire. There is, however, no Hot Club New Orleans dedicated exclusively or primarily gypsy jazz, as far as I can tell.

In my search so far, I've come across two guys who showed some interest in this music, but neither appeared to have the time or drive to study and practice the music for a couple of hours a day like I do. So, for the moment, I'm programming in my own accompaniment through Band-in-a-Box and using the various sites that offer recorded accompaniment of the classic gypsy jazz tunes.

If you're reading this and live anywhere near New Orleans, chances are you have a keen interest in this music and you're already trying to play it. And that goes for you violinists, clarinetists, accordionists and bassists as well. Get in touch with me and let's get this jam going!

Comments

• Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    edited July 2015 Posts: 85
    There's a Filipino player in Louisiana who plays gypsy jazz. He's a music student and we chat every once in awhile. I'll ask him where exactly he is and point him to this thread.

Edit: he replied quickly haha. He wants to me to give you his number. He's a bit shy, but he's game :) will PM you his number.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 6,152
    @Chiefbigeasy Have you not heard of Russell Welch?

http://www.mississippigipsy.com/

He's based in New Orleans (despite the name of his site)
    Barkonator
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    Thanks for the tip Michael!

Checking out Russell Welch now, this is good stuff!
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Russel Welch-the "Mississippi Gipsy"--does play in town on a regular basis, often with a number of other bands, and sometimes with his own group. I hadn't forgotten about him, but I guess I've been looking for other dedicated students and practitioners of the form that might gather for the occasional jam session or two. Haven't seen any of that.

I'm beating the bushes, so to speak, to roust out the shy but studious players that might be lurking on this sight, if there are any in my area. It just seems that this should be a natural environment for Gypsy Jazz to flourish. I may just have to dedicate myself to making it happen. Not a bad project, if I do say so myself.
  • manushemanushe South Louisiana✭✭✭ Lulo's Gitane
    Hello Chief Big Easy! I'm a South Louisiana gypsy jazz guitar player and I been looking for others with no luck whatsoever just like you. I am in Ascension parish about 40 minutes from the big easy. Send me a message if you want to get together boss!
    I'm a louisiana native living in thibodaux and new orleans in the past, I'm playing a blues gig in europe until December. I take gypsy jazz lessons here and would love to play with some guys when i get back. I'll be living in thibodaux for about 2 years just to woodshed my manouche. Feel free to hit me up PM to talk songs or setlists. Will be ready to start jamming/gigging mid January
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Hey Brent you related to Gerard? I've got several of his electrics. Beautiful guitars. Unfortunately GJ has kept my Melancons in their cases lately!
    rgrice
  • manushemanushe South Louisiana✭✭✭ Lulo's Gitane
    I'm a louisiana native living in thibodaux and new orleans in the past, I'm playing a blues gig in europe until December. I take gypsy jazz lessons here and would love to play with some guys when i get back. I'll be living in thibodaux for about 2 years just to woodshed my manouche. Feel free to hit me up PM to talk songs or setlists. Will be ready to start jamming/gigging mid January

Hello Brent Melancon! I haven't heard back from the chief yet, but hopefully all 3 of us can get together for some campfire jazz manouche jam sessions! I really would love to play some of the manouche repertoire with some local people.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Hey Manushe and Brent,

Glad to hear from both of you. I'll get back to y'all personally with some contact information.
    Definitely some campfire jams in the spring when i get home. Looking forward to it