DjangoBooks.com

First GJ gig. Some tips?

Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
in International Posts: 85
So me and my regular jam partner were invited to play this coming weekend at a local jazz club. The owner has never heard gypsy jazz live before so he asked that we play extended minutes (he was asking for two sets worth at first, which we can't do!). We settled for about 8 songs, which is just about our full repertoire.

Anyway, by no means are we expert GJ players. Improv is mostly made up of licks (copy and paste), and the number of licks I know are just a handful. I intend to plan out my solos, and just go lick crazy. There are no other gypsy jazz groups here anyway, so I'm hoping they won't notice :D

The gig will be like an audition of sorts for us. If they like what/how we play, we'll be inserted into the lineup of an upcoming major jazz concert next month as the first and only gypsy jazz group. Opportunity knocks but once, so the need to do good is huge. Any tips? I've played professionally before, in front of huge crowds and some stadiums, but that was rock where the overdrive masks mistakes, and well, is generally easier to play and fake. This is my first jazz gig, so yeah... I'm pretty nervous and excited.

Comments

• Try and relax and not think about it when playing. Now that you have committed all you can do really.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    The volume of notes that you play is not important rather the quality and tone!
    Jazzaferrikevingcox
  • BonesBones Moderator
    One tip, be careful about getting all excited and kicking off a tune too fast. Play the melody in your head first and set the tempo at a speed that you are comfortable with.
    Jazzaferrikevingcox
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Just have fun...if you do that then at the very least you had a good night and at the most who knows?
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Smile. If the audience senses that you guys are having fun, they will have fun too. Plan your intros and endings, this is most important! If you hit a bad note, keep going. Most in the audience will have no idea.

Good Luck!
    wimjonpowl
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    Thanks all. Just finished our practice for today, and I mentioned to the other guitarist all your input (we're just a duo - two guitarists. Should be three, but I can't contact Nathan. Anyway...). We noticed we tend to play faster than usual, too tense I guess, so we're slowing the songs a tad. We arranged our intros and endings too. As for soloing, we're gonna plan our solos with a little improv (only slow and clear notes, no pretending to be Stochelo haha). Fast licks should only be used if we're comfortable. Be sure we smile, whether we nail it or no. And just try to have fun.

We also learned awhile ago that some prominent local jazz musicians will be present... so yeah. There's that.
  • If you start thinking about who's out there .....well, that's a pressure best forgotten as quickly as possible.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    A few years ago we supported John Jorgenson and were allocated 20 minutes so that's all we rehearsed. John's arrival was delayed by the Icelandic ash cloud - remember that - so we were asked to keep going, which we did for another 30/35 minutes with unrehearsed material. Rather than worry about it we decided to just relax and have fun and we made a joke about our now playing without the safety net of rehearsal etc. I suppose it was different for us as we were open about who we were and the fact that we had just come together for this gig. The situation is different for you as there are further gigs dependent on this but I would still say relax and have fun. And smile.
    always learning
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    Yeah. Gotsta get in the zone where you block out everything and just play. I did/do continually remind my partner to just relax and have fun. Hopefully it sticks... And that I am able to practice what I preach :)

But yeah, an extra 35 mins without rehearsal? Cool. I don't think we're that good yet, so hopefully the other act this weekend won't be late :D (oh, we actually practiced our smiles earlier while practicing haha.)
  • Agree with all about having fun and smiling. Also as @Stringswinger said rehearse intros and endings.