DjangoBooks.com

String snapped oddly

I was doing a string bend on the high E of my Gitane D500 (w/ Argentine .11s loop ends) and the string loosened up. So I tried tightening it and while the tuners turned easy, the string tightened very slowly. I was afraid that I had a case of faulty tuners that I'd heard about with Gitanes. Then, after much too much turning and not enough string tension, the string snapped at the loop. What happened?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    It's a bad batch of strings. I have had 3 do it now all on the high E and loop ends 11s. I just changed strings a few days ago and I used an older set I got a while back and it was fine. So it's a bad run. Hope they go away soon. I had one slip in a gig last week. At first I didn't know what the heck was going on!

Cheers,
    Josh
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me as well, I just replaced it with a ball end 11.
    -Peter
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Is there any advantage to loop end strings? I've never used them.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    String changes tend to go a bit quicker.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Loop ends look cooler!
    But why did the the string tension drop and the tuner turn real easy until the string snapped? How could the string loosen?
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    the loop winding end comes undone as you tighten it.
  • drollingdrolling New
    Some of my obsessive/compulsive electric guitar playing brothers 'tin' the ball ends w/solder to reinforce the string wrap.

It might not be a bad idea to do this to the windings above the loop on our Argies. I'm pretty sure that would put a stop to the unravelling process.

But what a pain..

I switched to acoustic so I could retire my soldering iron, wire-cutters, voltage meter, etc...
    you know, I had two brand new E strings break in a row last night when I was changing them, these Argentine guys better get some quality control improvement soon, I like their sound best but I don't like it to the tune of $6 a string!
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I've also had too many of these things break much too young. It's not just the windings or the twist in the loop -- the metal seems to fatigue & break easily. I'm going to start trying the other brands... Anyone try the GHS "custom" GJ strings? How about Newtones? I don't think they're copper/silver, but how do their "django" strings sound?