DjangoBooks.com

10th fret inlay mark

Im very distracted by the 10th fret mark on gypsy guitars, i have 15 years of playing experience on electric guitars and playing a gypsy guitar with a 10th fret mark throws me off.
I am thinking to order these inlay decals and place the mark on 9th fret, and somehow hide the 10th fret mark (maybe put a black decal on top of it).

anyone is dealing with the same problem?

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I originally found it a problem but am now used to it. Changing the dot is an easy job (my old Manouche had it's dot changed to the 9th fret).
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    I use black marker to cover existing mark and some tipex type white pen for the new one.................... I keep having to re-do them every few weeks but im hoping the bit of time where I see two marker I can transition !
    the problem I had doing that was the dot on the fretboard was still there. I guess you could cover that up too.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I felt that way in the beginning too. I got used to it after a year or so of playing, and now I wish I could change the fret dot on my non gypsy guitars to the 10th fret.
    To me, having the 10th fret dot is better for 2 reasons - One, it marks the D on the 6th string, and two - It marks the G on the 5th string. The 9th fret dot marks the flat/sharp on both strings.
    MattHenry
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    What you should be is distracted by 9th fret dots, which make absolutely no sense. The only unaltered notes at the 9th fret are on the 3rd and 4th strings, not the strings anyone usually keys off of. At the 10th fret, every fret marks an unaltered tone. which makes it a very easy orientation site. I'm not sure who the idiot was that originally conceived the 9th fret dot, but it's probably best that his name has been forgotten. Once you get used to the 10th fret dot, it will make so much sense that you will never want to go back.
    wimMattHenry
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    o.k - makes sense when put like that.
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I believe it makes sense to people who only play guitars with 10th fret mark, but switching to regular guitar every day makes it very confusing. I still play alot on my regular 9th fret guitars so i think im gonna stick to 9.
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I guess my question really is: are there people who play both types regularly?
    Or you stick to one of them?
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hi Paulius,

I do not have a problem going from 9th fret marker guitars to a 10th fret marker guitar or vise-versa. Most of my guitars are 9th fret and I have one Dupont that is 10th fret (the prior owner of my other Dupont had it changed to 9th fret).

Frankly, I think the "idiots" were Maurice Selmer and his crew back in the 1930's/40's who chose the 10th fret for the marker. They used mandolin markers as the basis instead of guitar markers. Too bad they forgot to notice that mandolins are tuned in 5ths while guitars are tuned in 4ths (which explains the different systems). The Europeans were used to classical guitars that have no dots at all. The 9th fret marker is the standard and the 10th fret is the exception (just as the archtop guitar is the standard jazz guitar and the Selmac is the exception). If a few Gypsy jazz chauvinists want to see things in a different light, that is their right. All are entitled to their opinions, even if they are dead wrong ;-).

It is a good skill to be able to play either type of guitar without being bothered, but if it is truly a stumbling block for you, have your guitar changed to make it easier for YOU to play.

Those who find the 10th fret marker easier should have 10th fret markers on all of their guitars if it pleases them.

With guitars it is all about what is right for the individual player.

The goal is making music, not blind conformity.

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    I guess my question really is: are there people who play both types regularly?
    Or you stick to one of them?

I play both and feel equally at home...the only advantage to this is if you are sitting in with someone and don't have your guitar with you.