DjangoBooks.com

How much for a good violin?

2»

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Ebay isn't an option. Mail order isn't a safe bet.
    There are so many sharks in the business that you really need to know what you are doing or know and trust the person your doing business with at least.
    Even some well know shops will grossly over price instruments knowing that no one will ever pay those inflated prices.
    The violin market is a bit of a scandal actually.
    For the Chinese stuff I would recommend Johnson Stringed Instruments in Newton Upper Falls Ma.
    You can trust their mail-order of Chinese product . They have a long track record and have a well earned reputation for good set up work and fine customer service.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Co-incidentally.. a friend called me today to help identify a violin. He is quite a skilled guitar tech.

I inspected the instrument.

It "was" a very fine 1840's French violin until a genius decided to "repair" and "refinish" it. The owner was suspect and hence my friend's involvement when he wanted an appraisal.

The instrument was chemically stripped then sanded until all the edges of what was originally the outer edge of the recurve was totally gone. The scroll was dulled with 80 grit.. a crack repaired with gorilla glue and on and on. Cheap inappropriate pegs were fitted.. sad..

Then it was finished with Ace o Thane by brush.

The only thing not butchered was the label.

Pre dissection.. value approx. $20-40 K.

Current value.. perhaps $500.. for the label and the back.

I found the perps "handle" inside the violin on the neck block.. written in pencil.
    An American repair shop still in business.. name withheld to protect the guilty.

Criminal.

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited November 2014 Posts: 476
    Not easy finding great instruments. Many dollars and instruments later I'm happy with what I have, but just quit worrying and hunting for the Holy Grail, one size fits all guitar.
    I noticed audiences really responded to a particular couple guitars I thought were nice to play, but not special sounding. That goes to show something, but what?
    Good Luck, Patience, and Happy Hunting
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK