DjangoBooks.com

Sound is good/ playability needs improvement

So i have this nice Pattenote 254. It sounds really good to my ears, but the action is pretty high and intonation is a bit off on some spots of the neck.
My question is can a guitar like this be setup so the playability would match some high end guitars? In other words should i buy a better guitar to have better playability or can some good luthier make my Pattenote more playable?

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    The answer depends on why the action is high.
    So you need to bring this to a qualified repair person in your location.
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Well its not so easy to adjust action on gypsy guitar. Mine does not have an adjustable truss rod, so the only way is to have new bridge. And the bridge on my pattenote is quite rare thin one piece bridge, mo mustache.
    I don't trust acoustic luthers here locally. I could bring my guitar to Paris if it would solve the issues. But im not sure if it is worth the money bringing my guitar there. As i said it sounds pretty nice, so i like the guitar, just i wish it had better action and intonation.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Yes, you are now inhabiting the world of the guitar. Welcome aboard .
    :peace:
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited October 2014 Posts: 936
    @Paulius Volkovas

as @Al Watsky said...
    The answer depends on why the action is high.

My Patenotte improved with a Cheap China Bridge and also I got a Bridge from Saga that I'm using now. That really is something you can do yourself.
    There are lot's of post if you search here. Josh, Michael's set up guy has a great post on how to fit your Bridge. He also mentioned somewhere about making Bridges and I seem to remember a post about his Pattenotte 254 bridge.

SEARCH L-)

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Paulius Volkovas

check out this post about Patenotte Guitars from a Luthier.

Patenotte Guitars
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/comment/9686/#Comment_9686

pick on

• jeffmoorejeffmoore
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1
    Without tools, guidance, and experience you need a guitar tech. Get some reccomendations if you can or take it to a well known shop.
    You'll be glad you did.
    There's to much to it to summarize in a forum. I do my own, but the trial and error has been a long road. Better to find and pay a pro.
    Above all, someone has to see your guitar to make any decent appraisal of the issue-issues.
    Have you adjusted your bridge back and forth as regards intonation. That much you can do. Think of the bridge as a bow tie with each end "separate", so your not just going straight back and straight forward but changing the angle if the bass and treble need more or less relative adjustment. Even a bridge that isn't properly intoned in its manufacture can get you pretty close. Its the beauty of a "floating" bridge.
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Yes i can move my bridge, but it still pretty far from good intonation.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 936
    @Paulius Volkovas

Not sure what strings you are using, my 260 sounds better to my ear with Light guage Silk and Steel. I'm using galli strings GSL10 light.

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/galli_gsl10_single

Another thing about my Patenotte is I get it close with the tuner...

Then play a couple of chords and some melody and Adjust the tuning with my ear.

at that point I don't keep checking my Snark tuner. I really only do this on my 260 all my other guitars sound fine tuned to a tuner. The Patenotte sounds best this way.

I'd say that all my Gypsy Jazz guitars have improved by messing with the bridge. Some just need to be sanded to fit the contour of the top better, some needed shims, I've taken off Dupont bridges and found a cheap China bridge sounded better. I'm glad I took the given advice here and tried for myself.

3x Rosewood Bridge Fits for jazz guitar Quality Musical Guitar Parts Accessories for $15.64 free shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380657016167?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Good luck

pick on

Paulius Volkovas
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Be VERY careful about replacing the original bridge. If your 254 was that very wide bridge, do not replace it with a narrower one, because the top may eventually start to collapse. This happened to a friend of friend of mine. Have a good look at the bracing on the top, and to not use a bridge that applies pressure in a place that is not supported by bracing. Claude made that bridge wide for a reason. I got pretty lucky with my old Patenotte 260, which had great intonation. A new bridge might help (or a new fretboard), but have it made in similar dimensions to the original. At least check the bracing inside, and be sure a more traditional narrow bridge won't do to your guitar what it did to my friend's.
    pickitjohn
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    @Michael Bauer
    So glad you chimed in again with your years of experience and knowledge of the vintage guitars. I feel I spoke without enough information or should I say knowledge. Thanks for the save. I should of read @Paulius Volkovas
    rare one piece bridge post closer
    and keep my mouth shut. Sorry
    Hope you find the help you need.

pick on