DjangoBooks.com

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    .... and here it is today. What a let down!!!
  • Woah.......downhill?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hello Teddy,

I hate to contradict you but I believe that 'La Roulotte' was slightly more on the right (see attached photos shot in November 2007)

Best

François
    Teddy Dupont
    'La Roulotte' photographed by Emile Savitry by the end of the 30's

François
    .... and here it is today. What a let down!!!
    Hello Teddy,

I hate to contradict you but I believe that 'La Roulotte' was slightly more on the right (see attached photos shot in November 2007)

Best

François

My photographer had taken what he thought was a photo of No 62 but from your photos, he was obviously slightly off!!! Thanks François.

Not very far from the Don Juan (currently Hotel Royal Fromentin at 11 rue Fromentin) on 7 rue Fromentin Django played quite often :

when the place was called 'Le Grand Ecart' in november 1934
    At the end of 1935 he plays in the same place called 'Les nuits bleues' but he leaves because the management is not happy with the audience listening to the musicians instead of dancing!
    He will return in 1936/37 with André Ekyan orchestra the place is named 'Swing Time' then. Also from march to june 1938 in 'Le Princes's' (same address).

I don't know if it was the shop on the left or onthe right of the door with n°7 as both the MadLoc (musical instruments to hire) and the salon de coiffure are recorded under n°7 (but I would go for MadLoc).

Not very far from here was the café 'Le Boudon' (the one of 'Hanging around Boudon' which was a meeting point for musicians, next to 'La Cloche d'Or' the restaurant where Django used to eat with Oscar Aleman.

Best

François
    At the end of 1935 he plays in the same place called 'Les nuits bleues' but he leaves because the management is not happy with the audience listening to the musicians instead of dancing!
    Here is the HCQ at Les Nuits Bleues in 1935. Django looks less than happy in this photo.

MichaelHorowitz
  • murrayatuptownmurrayatuptown Holland, MI✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 59
    Interesting and disturbing. Jazz people (US -Chicago and touring New Yorkers) have always been very nice to me in person. The blues people are another story...a girlfriend's purse was stolen by women accompanying a musician with a band. While I looked on the floor around our table (what do I know? I never stole a purse!), she went in to the women's room, found the two tall women riffling through her purse, and all 5' (152 cm) of her snarled 'Give that back' and reached out & grabbed it. They didn't say anything and she left. We both left.

I walked up & asked a blues guitarist in a Chicago club a question about a song he played. He put a knife to my throat, laughed with the friend he was talking to, and said 'just kidding'. I acted like nothing just happened and continued asking my question. He answered it a little nervously & said 'You know I was just joking, right? I said 'About what?' and walked back to my table. They both looked more freaked out than they expected me to be. I'm not sure how I managed to stay cool...maybe because it was 3 AM and the last club of the evening and my reflexes were slow. Or I was sharper than I give myself credit for.

Maybe I should stay home, yes? That was the 80's.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Here is the HCQ at Les Nuits Bleues in 1935. Django looks less than happy in this photo.

Wow, they all seem to be playing Maccaferri classical guitars!

Fantastic thread, thanks!
    Django also played in Montparnasse :

- at La Croix du Sud in 1931, 3 boulevard du Montparnasse

- circa 1938 at the Stage B (where Django fell in love with the Stage B girl) and where he found the pay for his show so ridiculous that his impresario gave him five 100 francs notes that he tear down into pieces as not Worth his talent. 124 boulevard du Montparnasse

- just across the boulevard at n°127, he also played at 'Le Jockey' which has now been replaced as an irony of fate by a café named ..... 'Chez Fernand'!

- at 4 rue Huyghens was the Jimmy's Bar where Django played during the winter 1939-40 with Philippe Brun, Alex Renard, Guy Paquinet,Charlie Lewis, Emmanuel Soudieux, Alix Combelle soon replaced by Hubert Rostaing. The tune 'à la mode' is "at the Jimmy's Bar" composed by Philippe BRUN