DjangoBooks.com

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

scot wrote: »
    I have a fascinating recording from a session at "La Lanterne" later in time, but it's too big to post here. Suggestions on how to post it where all can hear?

Get the soundcloud account and upload it there and post a link here. There's a way to embed it on this forum just like YouTube videos but I'm not sure exactly how. Their free account will get you 3 hours worth of uploads and I believe a single file upload can be up to 5GB.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Scot

I am so glad you shared that it was like watching a Movie.
    I do hope there is more. Who is Jean-Marie, any recordings?
    He found it quite amazing that I was able, just from listening to an old disc, to “see” how they had played in the old days. I tried to explain to him that it really was not that big of a job, that any modern professional guitarist worthy of the title would find this in every way an ordinary skill. But he simply couldn’t understand how I’d done it. He was totally overwhelmed by the whole business.

Got me wondering. Thanks for sharing.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Here is how it looked then (see attached photo) and now (see the clip of the Hotel site) but beware, it will give you Paris nostalgy : http://www.hotelroyalfromentin.com/fr/hotel/#

Madeleine Gauthier said it was a very chic club when the Quintette played there. No doubt the knife fights added a little excitement to the sophistication.

Al Watsky
  • ezriteezrite Hollywood
    "He had ... the inbred cunning of a gypsy." You sure this is really what you wanted to say?"
    Y'a bon,
    J
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Yes that is where Madeleine Gauthier says Django and Joseph pulled knives on each other and someone had to go to find their mother as she was the only one who could separate them.

Teddy,

You referred several times to Madeleine Gautier (secretary of the Hot Club de France). Did she write a book or is it from an interview?

Best

François
    Teddy,

You referred several times to Madeleine Gautier (secretary of the Hot Club de France). Did she write a book or is it from an interview?

Best

François

Sadly I only have a brief quote from her about that particular incident. She does say the band "was crammed into the chimney" so perhaps that's why they were getting irritated with each other. However, Gérard Lévêque says that at gigs, Django and Joseph often "got on each other's nerves." If Django broke a string, he would put down his guitar, take Joseph's and continue playing. Joseph would then have to change the string. Lévêque felt that Joseph was jealous of Django.
    ezrite wrote: »
    "He had ... the inbred cunning of a gypsy." You sure this is really what you wanted to say?"

"inbred" in the sense of "naturally inherent, innate" not in the sense of "closely related". A good definition of what I meant is - "What is inbred has often been ingrained through earliest training or associations".

A quote from Charles Delaunay that may indicate Django's attitude to gangsters (and anyone else for that matter). "Django was interested in nobody................I think Django took musicians seriously - the rest I'm not sure about. Musicians he had respect for."
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Age creepeth up on us all LOL
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    I did a macabre cemetery tour while in Paris. I had a list of people whose tombs I wanted to locate: Baro, Matelo, Sarane, Montagne and others. Walking through a cemetery, on a dark, rainy, thundering afternoon brings a very interesting mood, to say the least.

Ted, you like Tim Burton, don't you?

Thanks for the précisions anyway. Too bad you can't find the names at the back of the Bar inauguration photos. I hope Teddy did not have a stroke when he read you lost them ;>))

Best

François
    BucoJazzaferriSvanis1337