DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

CyrilGaffiero tbleen Sticconti

My comparison of GJ guitars

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I finally made it to Caravan in Chicago and was able to try out a few Duponts and an AJL. I also tried a Gitane and a Shelly Park elsewhere. The Dupont and AJL sounded very dry without near as much harmonic richness as my ALD. The AJL had a very nice woody sound. I was disappointed by the Park which sounded like a Taylor. And the Gitane DG 300 was not even on the same page as the others. Did not like that one at all. It seems I am drawn to a little bit more lively sound. Any suggestions of other makers? Holo? Mazaud? Eimers?

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Not surprising that a Gitane was vastly inferior to those other (handmade) ones. :)

As for other makers, I highly recommend Holo and Mazaud -- those are my two favorites. Unfortunately they're quite hard to come by!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I certainly echo Adrian's recommendations. I am a big fan of Rodrigo Shopis's guitars - a somewhat more modern sound than the Dupont and AJL guitars, with impeccable workmanship.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    +1 for Mazaud! :-bd

I think Adrian and Benny both tried mine out at Django in June this year. When I spoke to Michael at the Djangobooks tent he said he had another one ordered. If you ever find yourself in the Cleveland area give me a shout and you can play mine (West Virginia isn't too far away).
    Charles Meadowsadrian