DjangoBooks.com

Favorite Composition

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited January 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 271
Here's an informal little poll:

What's your favorite composition by a gypsy jazz musician (excluding Django), and why?

I have to go with "La Folle" by Baro Ferret. It's like a cubist painting; it takes the familiar language of musette, fractures it, and presents it in a totally novel way. It's a waltz, but for dancers with too many legs. The best part is that for all its obtuseness, it still has enough recognizable features to make it accessible and memorable. Sure, inventing a new language is impressive, but I'm more impressed when someone can take the same words that everyone else has access to and say something I've never imagined. For my money, that's what Baro did with "La Folle."

That's my spiel. Anyone else care to dance about architecture?

- Rod

P.S.: The adventurous should feel free to follow up with this: What's your favorite non-gypsy jazz version of a Django composition?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Well, you've taken that one. For me, this is one of those things that I could answer anew each day, and I'll check back tomorrow, but one that stands out at 3:30 in the morning is Latcho Drom from Dorado, for many of the same reasons you mention above-it uses all the 'usual' lines, but manages to sound both fresh and timeless at the same time, almost as if everyone else had thought of it but were too afraid to commit it to wax.

More tomorrow,
    Jack.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Daphne has always been my favorite, if not for its simplicity. The real reason may be that I like trying to discover new things about rhythm changes... its just what I find interesting lately.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    "Porto Cabello." Modernism with strong contrasts. Vaguely Spanish/Mexican. Similar in ambiance to Baro Ferret's splendid "Depart du Zorro."
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I don't mean to be a weenie, guys, but I asked about compositions by gypsy jazz musicians excluding Django. His compositions helped build this tradition; I want to know what's keeping it alive.

(By the way, I have to agree with Djangology's assessment of "Daphne"; it's the tune that first hooked me.)
  • AmpsmasherAmpsmasher Oakland, California✭✭✭ Christelle Caillot
    Mire Pral, by Tchavolo and Mandino from the swing movie sound track, I like the tune for keeping it simple not too simple, it swings with that gypsy sound
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    My favorites are the key modulation in "Opus de Clignacourt" (Romane + Stochelo) and also there are 2 songs on the "Rodolphe Raffalli - A George Brassens" CD which I think are amazing except that I don't remember the names and my soundcard doesn't work.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Ah well, now that you've identified yourself as a weenie, I shall take pity and flood thee with responses:

- "Souline" by Matelot Ferret, a lovely melody with classical sense of form.

- "Adieu Latcheben" by... isn't this Koen De Cauter's? Mournful and dark.

- "Valse Moustache" by Tcha Limberger, what to call it? Tzigane baroque?

- "Piotto" by Koen De Cauter, again a strange, strongly-colored, contrasty piece

- "L'inattendu" by Baro Ferret, for all the reasons you like "La Folle," only it strikes me as being more unnerving and disturbed. The metrical shift from 3/4 to 6/4 is very unusual.

- "Royal Blue" by Sarane Ferret, maybe it's the hall, but this one is so morbid and evocative, it surprises me it's from Sarane at all, who otherwise is pretty chipper as a player.

If you detect a theme here, it's solitude. existential loneliness. melancholy. Even "Souline," which is very pretty... has a dying fall. It's autumnal. It's the deep oranges and russets of fall, the rust, the damp, the bare ruined choirs, the things left behind, the embers, the sense of loss, -- and the feeling that joy and gladness are temporary campfires along the way, protests against inevitable tragedy.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I am with Jack this will probably change tomorrow, but for today I am really digging Tchan-Tchou by Moreno. Some that keep cropping up are Just one for Babik by Patrick Saussois. which sounds alot like Noto Swing which would be another. As far as the adventurous goes Barney Kessel Playing Nuages is really cool.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Caleb,

are oyu sure you;re not thinking of Jojo Swing by Patrick Saussois and Alma Sinti? That tune is very similar to Noto Swing.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Nwilkins

I am pretty sure I am talking Just one for Babik of La Roulette but I will listen to Jojo swing right now.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.