DjangoBooks.com

Bob Holo Nouveau sound clips and pics

I just wanted to share some shots of my cedar-topped Holo Nouveau. This is just a staggeringly incredible instrument. It can cover so much musical ground. The years have opened it up immensely (it sounded superb initially).The guitar is lively/responsive, rich, loud, and above all else, balanced. Holo will be the the future generation Selmer.

Tagged:

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! I'd love to try a redwood or cedar topped Holo. Mine is spruce with the same pick guard as yours. These are incredibly light!
    I'm in Portland Oregon

I'd like to lower the action on mine, but it seems a shame to have a new bridge made. This one intonates so nicely.
    What's your action like now? Mine's a bit under 3mm at the 12th. Perfect for me. Maybe get another bridge for the different seasons. The compensated one is awesome, though a good luthier can compensate another bridge for you. Trick is, get lightweight stuff like a braz rosewood, or similar. When you buy these stock bridges, like ebony for instance, it seems they're heavy and ruin tone. The lighter the bridge, the more the top will breathe and resonate. Bob Holo made a great lightweight one for ours.
    pickitjohn
    There is some resemblance in how Bob Holo builds compared to someone like Wayne Henderson in the flattop world. Re-sale value might not be equal now, but it sure seems it could soar like the Henderson's. However, there is no middle man, like Djangobooks, when it comes to Wayne Henderson's builds. You can ask Mr. Henderson to build you a guitar, and you might get that guitar in a year, five years, ten years, or never. He builds for who he wants and what he may be in the mood to build. I absolutely love the idea. It's a waiting list that's subject to change however he sees fit. Now, search Henderson guitars on the used market and people are paying 20k plus. His guitars, like Holos, are incredible, and this is the price people are willing to pay to say they have one. Chances are you're not going to get a Holo on this site. Unfortunately, this is the only place to get them. I'm unbelievably fortunate enough to have one. I will be curious to see how the market plays out with his guitars.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Tim....feel free to add your Holo to the new Community Guitar Archive. Your would be the first Holo listed!

http://www.djangobooks.com/gallery/submit-your-guitar/
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,252
    Wow... long day in the shop today and came in to stretch my fingers and saw this. Suddenly they aren't so sore ;-) !! haha...

Seriously though, thanks. I'm really glad you like it - both of you.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,730
    Bob Holo wrote: »
    Wow... long day in the shop today and came in to stretch my fingers and saw this. Suddenly they aren't so sore ;-) !! haha...

Seriously though, thanks. I'm really glad you like it - both of you.

Nice to see such healthy outlook on things from a person destined by all evidence to a luthiery hall of fame.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 93
    Buco, I'm not saying anything about a hall of fame. I'm just saying Bob builds guitars when he wants. Wayne Henderson, who is certainly in the renowned category, builds guitars when he wants. Henderson's guitars cost their owners a few thousand when they're delivered. On the used market if you can score one for 15-20k, you've got a good deal. I'm just saying that Bob Holo could charge what he wants; his guitars are stellar beyond words. Wayne Henderson could choose to charge much more as well. They are in luthiery for a whole different reason. If people are willing to spend 9k on a Vieille, that's their bag. Great guitars. They're coming up for sale pretty often. Slap a higher price tag on a Holo, you better get used to still seeing that hold sign with regularity.
    Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, I added a quote to my previous post. I was responding to what Bob said earlier.

I agree with your view though, for a while I kept expecting Holo prices to skyrocket after the demand for them skyrocketed. But that never happened. Tells you something about the maker.

I'd love to hear your guitar. Got any youtubes or something recorded with it?
    MichaelHorowitz
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Yeah I do have recordings of it. I will put some clips together soon. After I responded, I thought maybe you directed that at Bob.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 93
    Richter, your guitar is beautiful! What's the serial number on her? If you have a chance, put it in the archive.