DjangoBooks.com

Home Recording

steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
in Recording Posts: 50
Hello everybody, greetings from California. I recently received a microphone, which plugs into my iPad. I have no experience with recording, and I want to. So, I have messed around with Garage Band and recording. The results are not bad, but if I were to take it to the next level, what equipment will I need? Any input is always accepted.

-Steve

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Not sure if you can do much more with an iPad. If you have a desktop computer, you could buy an MBox which has some decent mic pre amps and comes with Pro Tools software. You can make studio quality recordings with that setup.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I actually use the Focusrite Itrack Solo, which apparently is optimally set up for working with the iPad. I use it through my PC, second hard drive, as I don't have an iPad. I recently got an AT4040 large condenser mic to work with it, and I'm blown away by the sound. Focusrite seems to have a pretty solid reputation for their interfaces, at least as I've gleaned from gearhead sites.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    @Passacaglia Verrry interesting....Potential...Hmmm...Possibilities are endless.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Occasionally, I use Audacity which is open source recording and editing software. I believe it available for Mac. You can record multiple tracks as well as slow down in pitch and much more.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I think that the Apogee Duet, which has 2 very good quality pres on it, and good AD conversion, is now iPad compatible. It looks like there are a number of multitrack recorders now available for iPad also - would be interesting to see a) if they work with the Duet, and b) if they will actually do simultaneous track recording. So if you are into sticking with the iPad, there seem to be options there. For desktop/laptop, the options are endless and increasingly expensive, but most multi channel interfaces you'll find will sound pretty good. If you don't get the MBox, and Protools with it, I'd recommend Reaper - an excellent DAW that you can trial for free for as long as you like, then pay I think $50 for when you want.