DjangoBooks.com

New Pick

ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
Not sure, I think it is called 'Le Bufon Buton' or something like that.

Anyway it cost me 18 cents and 10 minutes time with a sander to round the back corner, bevel the edges and smooth it over with a knife. My Mustache is next to it for comparison.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Really cool... Looks great but I think I would kill that in about 3 songs. I have a Mustache pick and it lasted the least amount of time out of any I have. I would get done with a song and there would be white dust all over my guitar! I have so many picks and I always come back to my Wegen.

Josh
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Josh, you must play one mean guitar - I was wondering how that 'dust on my guitar' story turned out.

But that's okay, at this point I don't even know three songs, so I guess I have plenty of time. :wink:

Dang! For I few seconds I thought I had the world on an Argentine string!
    man I hope I didn't dash your dreams. make your pick, play them, get famous and tell every one you make your own picks out of buttons and get all you fans to start doing it too... Just because they want your sound! After seeing your pictures again I might have to try it out!

Josh
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Thanks - the only thing you did was to make me order a Wegen, now all I need IS A FREAKIN' GUITAR! But seriously, I'd like to know what they did before Mr Wegen, Dugain, etc., showed up on the scene.

You really should try it - the one I made is a bit denser than the Mustache (I weighed them), and very pretty, a beige and brown number, not gray like the pic - and at 6 for a dollar hard to beat. I think it is the Gypsy way. When I do get famous I plan on having them sewn onto a shirt, and at my concert in the middle of a blazing solo pretend to drop my pick and then in a faked act of desperation rip one from my shirt to finish the song while the audience goes TOTALLY NUTS!!!!

How's that for showmanship? :roll:
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    At this point, one should interject that Josh "Popeye" Hegg is the "choppinest" player in GJ. Legend has it that he once wore down a titanium reinforced pick carved from heat resistant ceramic salvaged from the underside of a NASA space shuttle. On the good side, it did last him almost a full set...

:)

Howdy Josh. How's it? When do you think Collins will come out with that book? If we decide to have a pool on it I think I'll put my ticket in for some time in April.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Elliot,

You win for the best gypsy stage show idea. But I think you could do even one better. Have you ever seen pictures of the gypsy trick where they play 2 or 3 people on one guitar? Well I say you do that in conjunction with your button trick and you'll be in the books for ever.

Bob,

That reminds me... NASA just called the other day and wants their tiles back. Thanks for the reminder.

As for the book... I know how it is with people like Mr. Collins as I am one my self. We just get too much going at one time and have to push back all dates! I think April is a good bet but could go out as far a June. What ever happens I'm getting it as soon as I can and will start another guitar there after. How is your guitar coming? I'm going into my ship this evening to put the back on to the sides and hope to have the top on by mid week.

Cheers
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    My guitar isn't coming. :)

New job is coming along well though...

I finally made it out of high tech and into the music business. I'll need to catch you up on that stuff offline. You and my friend Kathy both went out and looked around at different jobs here a few months back - it inspired me. So I did it too. Darned if it didn't turn into a career change. I went from "Fortune 50" to a company with less than 50 people and I couldn't be happier about it. What a kick.

However, I foresee starting up the guitar in the next couple of months as the weather gets warmer and I get to the point with this new job where I'm not in learning mode.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Bob,

Ya email me! My new e mail address <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> I would love to catch up.

I put the back on the sides last night! Man it's starting to look like a guitar! Now that I'm back on track I hope to have it done soon. When I do I'll send pictures.

Josh