DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy violins

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
edited November 2013 in Violin Posts: 432
I play mostly the guitar but have done some bluegrass fiddle. Trying to ease into a bit of the simpler violin parts. Do the gypsy violinists use any particular type of instrument or setup - classical type bridge? Thanks.

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    I play mostly the guitar but have done some bluegrass fiddle. Trying to ease into a bit of the simpler violin parts. Do the gypsy violinists use any particular type of instrument or setup - classical type bridge? Thanks.

most of the violin players i've worked with in person seem to have the 'regular' / 'classical" setup, including the bridge. And ,often , they're playing on the same instrument they'd use to play other genres i.e. classical. I understand that some bluegrass / country swing players lower the bridge, I don't think it's common in Gypsy Jazz.
    [Two of the people I'm thinking of play with professional symphony / ballet orchestras]

I dabble in a little violin too, and my set up is pretty 'classical', bridge & strings wise, though my instruments are fairly cheap old European violins I've acquired, mostly at local auctions.

-Andy-
  • RobbieWRobbieW New
    Sorry for asking it here, I didn't know where to address this question. So, does anyone know what kind of violin this guy is playing?
    http://wowmp3.net/watch/hQ_XX52-Xdw/gog ... imus-alive
    He's pretty awesome I think and I love the way his instrument sounds, I'd love to buy a similar one.
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    Hi RobbieW. Looks like one of the Yamaha silent/electrics. I guess he got tired of trying to amplify his old standard violin. I has ta say, all due respects, I don't care much for this band. I guess the younger folks like them because they have that punk/high-energy thing, but their stuff sounds repetitive to me, mostly focused on a repeating shouted chorus, and not a lot of instrumental breaks. To be fair, I don't like punk, so I'm admittedly prejudiced here.
    I'll put in a plug here for my fave new band, Fishtank Ensemble: serious gypsy stuff, mashed up with swing and flamenco. High-energy, clear vocals (I could understand the words, except I don't speak Serbian), good instrumental stuff. YMMV.
    As far as the violin, there are probably better choices, and I suspect the old boy got it because it was inexpensive and durable.
    Bon chance,
    MacKeagan
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    not sure about Gogol Bordello, but that's a big crowd they are playing to.

here's a video of Fishtank Ensemble, any GJ band that has a girl with a
    bowler hat playing the saw AND a belly-dancer is all-good in my book.
    More videos on their channel. thanks for the headsup, MacKeagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmvQXpHWyE