DjangoBooks.com

Gallato vs. Park

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
Dear fellow Djangophiles:

I have a dilema:
I love my Gallato, which I got in 2003.
I have a chance to get a '99 Park Encore, which is a wonderful instrument that I have played.
Problem is I can only afford one of these guitars.
So if I buy the Park, I sell the Gallato.
The Gallato is laminated and the Park is a solid top engleman spruce with indian rosewood back and sides.

How to decide? Anyone any opinions on sticking with the Gallato as it's the more authentic european laminated gypsy guitar?

...And if I sell the Gallato, is there any interest out there and what should be a reasoinable price seeing as they don't make the Serge Gallato model's any longer?

cheers, appreciate the feedback

Phil

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Phil,

Long time no talk. Good to see you posting.

I say go with the Park. The Parks I have played are outstanding. I like your Gallato and have played 3 others besides yours. They sound and play great and are all the same. This is a good thing... But the Park is in another league. For me it would be and easy decision. You should be able to sell your Gallato as people are really looking for the older one now as the new brand has changed.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hey Josh - good to hear from you also and thanks for the opinion. I will keep it in mind. Hope to meet up and jam with you soon. Would be good to meet up and jam with your Dad as well, all the best to you and him

cheers

Phil
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Oh man that would be great. We have been jamming allot! Keep us all updated on what you end up doing with the big Park question.

Cheers
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Actually, I can't speak about the Gallato, as I've never played one, but in general I think Shelley's guitars are as fine as any guitars being made today. Her attention to detail is phenomenal. And her instruments really sing.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Phil - I don't know where the SP is that you're considering, but no two guitars are alike and I've played your Gallato... it is a PHENOMENAL specimen. Bottom line, you need to play the two instruments side by side. If that means taking a day off work and hopping in your car to go up to play it - or if it means paying deluxe shipping and insurance for the Park to get it out here so you can play it, (probably feasible if the SP is anywhere here in the states) then that's what you need to do. Tossing your Gallato into a black hole before you get the Park is just not the right way to go.

My guess is that it would be much easier for you to "afford" having two guitars for a couple of weeks/months than to afford the regret of getting rid of a fantastic axe before getting its replacement. (and perhaps finding that you want your old one back) It sounds like you're being offered a good price on that SP, so you can afford some money to make sure it is the right decision. If that is not feasible, just buy the Park. You may not be able to justify the cost of both, but the truth is that you can afford to own both for a couple of months - especially considering that you're getting a good deal on that Park and will likely be able to sell it for a profit if you don't like it.

Cheers,

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.