DjangoBooks.com

Krivo pickup?

ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
Any opinions on the Nuevo krivo pickup?
How does it compare to the peche a la muche?
Anybody try it through a compact 60?
Or a vintage fender deluxe?
Thanks

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I like it a lot.
    I have a couple nuevos.
    Haven't used any of the equipment you mentioned, but through my vox tube amp and my several acoustic amps the Krivos perform really really well.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    If you do a search, you'll find at least one other thread discussing Krivo pickups, and maybe more.

I gig with a Krivo Nuevo, and had a Peche here for a good while to compare side-by-side. If you like the Django electric sound, get the Peche. If you want a more natural (to my ears anyway) sound, the Krivo is for you. See the other post(s) for more info.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I like it a lot.
    I have a couple nuevos.
    Haven't used any of the equipment you mentioned, but through a vox tube amp and several acoustic amps (Phil Jones cub - Genz Benz Compac 10) the Krivos perform really really well. They are easy on the 60 cycle hum, give a bright articulate sound that also can crunch well (ala rock and roll) if you want.
    They are coils though and sound like coils but are as good as I've found (in coils) to get a "acoustic" sound.
    I mostly use a K&K floating bridge to get my acoustic sound, which is still not like a good mic but giggable acoustic sound and switch between the two for the difference between coil and piezo.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    I like Krivo a lot as well. I think it's a happy middle ground between a mic and a magnetic pickup.
    With a tube amp I hear more of electric pickup tone and with an acoustic amp it sounds closer to a mic-ed sound.
    Only I wish it was easier to get in touch with Jason, the maker. I had some ideas I wanted to run by him but no luck in reaching him.
    Love his work though, the feedback rejection and the headroom you get with this pickup with the sound it gives for me is just fantastic.

Oh and I tried the humbucking version but I didn't like it as much as the single coil. True it was quieter but the sound lost that magnetic pick up tone although it was true and closer to a mic-ed sound.
    I never had a problem with noise from a single coil.
    Only for a solo guitar performance it could be an issue, in that case Krivo humbucker would be a problem solver. Also the humbucker seemed to have lower signal output.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo
    Honestly, I hate my Krivo. It makes my D.J. Hodson sound like a Fender Strat. I can't manage to EQ the awful twang out either.
    It's funny, I think I read your comment in reviews and gave me double thoughts about getting one. I called Michael and he gave a run down on pros and cons, which he's great at by the way, and said if I didn't like it he'll take it back.
    So I got the humbucker first and at the same time borrowed a single coil from a friend to compare the two.
    I think we probably hear somewhat similar things in the pickup but to me it's more of a jazz box quality type of sound, and that's what I liked more over a humbucker which pretty much had none of it.
    So maybe a Krivo humbucker might be your ticket?
    Needless to say I returned it and got the single coil.

Buco
  • MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo
    Where can one get the humbucker? If I'm correct Michael doesn't carry it anymore.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 4,735
    It only shows up once in the blue while, maybe call Michael and see if he expects them in the near future.

edit: for what it's worth here's the link for product page from djangobooks store:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... adjustable
  • ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
    Is the new one a humbucker,or a single coil?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Krivo isn't currently making the humbucker pickup, or at least wasn't the last time I talked to Michael about it. Our band's lead player uses a Krivo hum bucker, and I use a Krivo single-coil, both through Fender amps (sorry, purists), and they both sound good, and to be honest, I can't really hear a significant difference between them. I only ever head a hum issue once with the single-coil, at an outdoor gig with a bunch of florescent lights and heavy building wiring just feet from us. Otherwise, it has been perfectly quiet.

The Krivo sounded much more natural and less "electric" to me compared to a Peche. It is, by far, the simplest rig I have used, and I have tried mics, an Ischell, and a Peche. The only thing that gave me a better sound was the DPA through a Schertler Unico, but when we started playing in loud, crowded clubs and bars, I decided to simplify, and have been happy I did.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.