DjangoBooks.com

Buying a video camera...

matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Recording Posts: 67
I would like to get a video camera to start recording myself playing and making some videos. There are a lot of choices and was just looking for some advice on what to buy or what others are using themselves. I would like to try to keep the cost around $100 if possible. I don't need anything to fancy, just something that will produce decent results.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Matty, at that budget I can't recommend a video solution, but I can definitely recommend the Zoom H1 portable recorder. I came across this last Django in June - for $100, great audio recording on the fly, couldn't be easier.

I'm happy with my Zoom Q3HD, but its cost exceeds your budget. Its video quality is iffy in low light situations, but, like its less expensive cousin, I find the audio is great for impromptu recordings. If I had the dough, I'd probably go for a digital SLR that also records well.

Anyway, I digress. I hope you find a video solution that suits you.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Can I give this one a bump? I'm looking to buy a video camera that would do a good job of video in low light gig situations and capture decent audio as well. For making small screen videos/youtubes to promote our group. Budget is not unlimited, but cost isn't really question here, more like what kind of camera specs are needed to handle the low light, adequate data storage, decent audio.

Any ideas?
    Hey Craig,

You can borrow my HD camcorder if you like. It has a shotgun mic and wide angle lens added on that would make it handy for shooting gigs. An intern at my last job broke the fancy tripod I use with it but it'll still give you an idea.

Just email me and we'll sort out the details.

-Matt
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 28
    If I was shopping new I'd probably daisychain a Hero3 to a Zoom H6 or similar. Shotgun mics aren't ideal for live music but the workflow will be more annoying if the audio and video start out on different devices. It's a trade-off.

The wide angle lens on my camera is handy because you don't need to position it as far away. Here's an example of it being used too far away to have focused audio (in this case just where my girlfriend happened to be sitting):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUKH7OKaN6g