DjangoBooks.com

Some issues with smaller hands

w3hsw3hs Chicago
edited September 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 11
Hi, I am not sure if this was covered and forgive me if this is a repeat post but I am having some difficulties with some of the chords from Michaels book (which is a great buy by the way). Specifically the A7 chord on the 5th fret, I have no idea how to mute the A string with my thumb as my hands are a bit on the smaller side. I found another way to play the chord but it feels so unnatural.
I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and what they did. Thanks!

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    There are quite a few voicings for each chord, and many of them don't involve using the thumb to mute a string. The only dominant 7 voicing in the book that uses the thumb to mute a string isn't one I ever see any player use.
    Try this voicing - Put your first finger on the 5th fret/6th string. Put your middle finger on the 5th fret/4th string, your 3rd finger on the 5th fret/2nd string, and your pinky on the 6th fret/3rd string. You will mute the 5th string with your 1st finger, and mute the 1st string with the part of your first finger that's right on the edge of your palm (I think they call it the pad of your hand/finger).

This is the most common "root on the 6th string" dominant 7 voicing I see guys in the gypsy jazz world play.

Incidentally, the voicings you're really going to hate are the major and minor 6/9 voicings. Adrien Holovaty calls the minor 6/9 the bastard chord. I still can't do it.

good luck,

Anthony
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah if you have a bass player you can ignore the root (either on the 6th or 5th string depending on the inversion).

I have small hands and my neck is pretty boxy (like I think the Selmers are/were) but I just use the typical 3 or 4 note voicings for example (listed starting at the high E string down to low E):

G6

x
    x

or

x
    x

or

x
    x

or G6/9

x
    x (10) optional

or

x

or for G7

x
    x

or

x
    x
    x (10) optional

You can figure out similar ways around the minor and diminished but if you have other questions just post them and maybe we can answer them.

If you don't have a bass player try to get the root in there if possible and use inversions that sound good with the song. Some inversions don't seem to sound 'right' at times but don't ask me why since I don't know theory but just use your ears.

I hope that helps
  • w3hsw3hs Chicago
    Thanks everyone! Those options are working nicely!
  • w3hsw3hs Chicago
    anthon_74 wrote:
    Incidentally, the voicings you're really going to hate are the major and minor 6/9 voicings. Adrien Holovaty calls the minor 6/9 the bastard chord. I still can't do it.

good luck,

Anthony

Hey Anthony, I am still having issues with C6/9. God. That chord is even worse for those with smaller hands, any work arounds?
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Medium hands rookie Gypsy Jazzer here, but I like C6/9:
    x (8 optional)
    x (8 optional)
    7 9th
    7 6th
    7 3rd
    8 Root

1st finger for 7th fret Barre
    2nd finger for 8th fret root
    3rd and 4th finger for optional 8th fret 5th and root.
    Right out of Gypsy Rhythm, page 20.