DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy pick getting stuck on strings

djamiedjamie New
edited June 2013 in Technique Posts: 11
Hi,

as many have I've recently switched from electric to gypsy jazz and have been working a lot on my picking technique.

One problem I get is that whenever I do a rest stroke to upstroke, so basically alternate picking, the pick gets stuck under the string and it's much harder to go fast.

Is my technique flawed or is this a warm welcome to gypsy jazz?

I'm using a gypsy jazz pick about 3.0mm.

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    It's technique. The upstroke in GJ is different than the upstroke in alternate picking. There's a book called "Gypsy Picking" that is sort of the standard for self study of this technique. It will take you through some exercises and patterns so you can get the feel of it. Part of it is the way the pick is gripped and part of it is the wrist angle and tilt - and then part of it is just a lot of repetition. But yes, it'll feel awkward at first... and then when you start to get it and start to loosen your grip to really get the proper attack - you'll encounter another issue - namely that your pick will continually rotate in your hand until you have to stop and re-grip it. Then for a while you'll start launching your pick and have to pick it up off the floor and try again. But take heart - everyone goes through this. In a couple years, the picking style will be in your muscle memory and you'll look back and wonder why you ever thought it was difficult. But yes, it's a major PITA at first... but it's worth it. It will give you an incredible range of expression both in speed and dynamics when you master it.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    hi there,

I'm not sure that I can adequately explain this, but I will try to explain what helped me. first, however, the bottom line is that if you're not used to rest stroke picking, it will simply take time and practice to get the hang of it.

Also, before I get to my "advice" definitely get gypsy picking by Michael horowitz.

Now, here's what helps me - I angle my picking hand inward and upward slightly in a way where if I look down at my hand, I can see my palm. After awhile, you don't have to angle it as much, as the feel will be there, but at first it helps to really get the rest stroke down.

Anthony
  • Bob...your comments re soooooo very acutely accurate.

Thankfully, I am theough the pick rotation thing now...it drove me crazy for a year or so. :mrgreen: Got so,bad I was using violin roesin to stop it.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • djamiedjamie New
    Thanks for the responses. It's good to have a bit of support I don't really know anyone else into music pre 1950s haha.

I did find that loosening the pick in my grip works and my tremolos improved very quickly.

I really want the gypsy picking book but I live in the UK, shipping came to quite a lot, so maybe I'll wait until I get paid again.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Crazy story: I was reclining on the couch playing my Gitane DG-255 while the girlfriend was talking to me and I was feigning interest by playing at a low volume. The pick slipped out of my fingers and fell into the petite bouche. Of course I could hear the Dunlop Primetone 3mm rattling around inside, but after a couple of minutes of trying to unsuccessfully bounce it out of the guitar, the rattling stopped. I assumed that maybe the pick had fallen out and I had not seen it. I searched the floor, under the couch cushions, inside my shoes, etc., but with no luck finding the pick. No safe amount of banging the guitar would dislodge the pick. So I gave up, grabbed another pick and continued practicing till bedtime. At some point the next day, approximately 20 hours later, I hit particularly forceful, Django like note during Minor Swing and there was a sound like the pick being spat from it's lodging spot or perhaps a different dimension and it crashed into the inside of the guitar. After a couple of shakes, I managed to free it from captivity. Is this part of the Gypsy mystique, or perhaps my guitar telling me I need to upgrade to a Wegen?
  • djamiedjamie New
    jonpowl wrote:
    Crazy story: I was reclining on the couch playing my Gitane DG-255 while the girlfriend was talking to me and I was feigning interest by playing at a low volume. The pick slipped out of my fingers and fell into the petite bouche. Of course I could hear the Dunlop Primetone 3mm rattling around inside, but after a couple of minutes of trying to unsuccessfully bounce it out of the guitar, the rattling stopped. I assumed that maybe the pick had fallen out and I had not seen it. I searched the floor, under the couch cushions, inside my shoes, etc., but with no luck finding the pick. No safe amount of banging the guitar would dislodge the pick. So I gave up, grabbed another pick and continued practicing till bedtime. At some point the next day, approximately 20 hours later, I hit particularly forceful, Django like note during Minor Swing and there was a sound like the pick being spat from it's lodging spot or perhaps a different dimension and it crashed into the inside of the guitar. After a couple of shakes, I managed to free it from captivity. Is this part of the Gypsy mystique, or perhaps my guitar telling me I need to upgrade to a Wegen?

Lot's of gypsy pickpockets operating inside guitars these days be careful