DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    how long did this one last before being snatched?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    new holos seem to go like hotcakes. i've never even seen one on the site with the price still there !
    I wonder if it was even still "for sale" at the time Michel posted?

Or, as he mentioned on the subject of posting pricing in other thread, it's more for posterity, but the guitar was really already sold at the time of posting.
    They do sound amazing, the one Alfonso Ponticelli plays, I've never heard anything like it.
    Good for Bob, and Michael too, they deserve to be successful with the time and passion they put in their endeavors.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Buco, I'd forgotten that (Alfonso's guitar). I'd love to just try one someday - there's so much lore built up on Bob's work, an impressive testament to him. Congrats indeed.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Buco wrote:
    I wonder if it was even still "for sale" at the time Michel posted?

I don't pre-sell the Holos, they are always available to the public on a first come, first serve basis. However, there are so many people waiting that once I post one it sells very quickly. So, by the time most people see it, it is already on hold. But it was for sale, albeit for a very short time.

thanks!

Michael
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,252
    What's happening is that people are watching the Djangobooks Twitter feed, so when Michael tweets about a new guitar or new amp or CD or whatever, then people who are interested in that particular thing start watching the site.

Mine go a little quicker because I don't have a list, but they're not pre-sold. So I guess there are three ways to answer the "How Quick" question. In this case, it was two minutes after listing, or four hours after twitter, or I suppose somewhere between four hours and seven or eight years after the buyer decided he wanted one. It causes a bit of confusion and occasionally some hard feelings or controversy which is unfortunate. Mostly I think it just causes Michael stress and I feel bad about that because it's disconcerting to watch someone take flack on your behalf, But I suppose controversy is more interesting than saying: "Well, the guy doesn't make many guitars because he spends a lot of time in study and prototyping and working with artists." The image of a guy bent over a dial-indicator or microphone and recording results in a spreadsheet and defining a linar-regression or a durbin-watson test... doesn't make for a good story. It seems everything is more sensationalized in the internet age, though I do miss the days of Walter Cronkite, haha.

Perhaps the answer is to sit down and explain the exact reasons that I don't have a list. The reasons are very simple and they stem from the method I have for learning and improving. But I don't know whether explaining them would answer the questions or just raise more questions. Anyone who doubts that answers are the seeds from which questions grow, should spend some time talking with kids. Anyway, Lol... Answers beget questions. So, sometimes you just have to shrug and have faith that when all the dust settles, people don't pay much attention to drama because most of it is like a bad soap opera. Besides... this post is too long already and I have the urge to go to the wood closet and tap some boards. I'm between builds right now, but starting Monday I'll probably be MIA for a while.

Anyway, that's the answer to "How quick"… somewhere between 2 minutes and 8 years depending on how you view it.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Sounds like you're having fun, Bob. And to have a group of hardcore dedicated fans like you've got shows that you are getting good karma and hopefully even making a few bucks while having fun...

When I was about nineteen, I apprenticed for a few months with Canadian guitar maker Jean Larrivee, who was then making guitars in his townhouse basement in Willowdale, Ont. Later on, of coure, Jean moved to Vancouver and went into production with a big operation and now he's probably worth zillions... Hopefully he's able to enjoy his success and it doesn't come with zillions of problems and stresses.

I remember one time there was a big pile of sawdust on the floor, so I told Jean, hey don't worry, I'll take care of that. So I went up to the top of the basement stairs where I'd noticed this funny looking broom, brought it downstairs and started sweeping.

Gradually I realized that Jean had stopped working and was watching me and dissolving in laughter. Why?

Well, it turns out that most young fellas from the US of A, as I was, didn't know beans about this weird Canadian sport called "Curling"... And that weird broom Id found at the top of the stairs was... his wife's curling broom.

But aside from the odd faux pas, I had a great few months working with Jean, and it is my boast that me, and Jean's next apprentice, a guy named Grit Laskin, helped make the operation the success it is today...

Well, that my story and I'm sticking to it... Anyway, Bob, if you should ever decide to take on any apprentices with excellent sawdust sweeping skills, I am totally available... :oops:

will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Bob Holo wrote:
    I suppose controversy is more interesting than saying: "Well, the guy doesn't make many guitars because he spends a lot of time in study and prototyping and working with artists." The image of a guy bent over a dial-indicator or microphone and recording results in a spreadsheet and defining a linar-regression or a durbin-watson test... doesn't make for a good story.

No, that sounds like a more interesting story to me... but then I'm a nerd
    Bob when your guitars sell almost immediately and there's many eyes following twitter/djangobooks for opportunity to buy one if they have the chance, it would suggest you can raise your price to match the market and make a bit more $ for your hard work, no??
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    what Wim said.
    there´s no controversy here Bob, just appraisal for your guitars.

i myself spend a lot of time with dial gauges, deflection testing, tap recording and chladni probing, so some stories like that would definitely be interesting!
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    There was one 2nd hand Holo a couple of weeks ago on Manoucheries: the frenzy is the same over there, it didn't stay more than a few minutes.
    - JG