DjangoBooks.com

Invite to my new How to Play Western Swing Guitar blog

Comments

• sjlsjl ✭✭
    You're site is great but How can I subscribe to it?
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    You should be able to follow it now... learning as I go. Thanks for wanting to follow it!
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Update on How to Play Western Swing Guitar:

I finally figured out how to get the "widget" on the blog so folks can follow it. It is also now on Facebook. So, please visit westernswingguitar.blogspot.com and add yourself as a follower and/or http://www.facebook.com/HowToPlayWesternSwingGuitar and "like" the blog to receive updates as I add them. Thanks for all the great feedback!
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    I just posted a new lesson on the cycle of 5th or 4ths and how to play "Anytime" or "Right or Wrong". I talk about the influence of Emmett Miller and Eddie Lang in western swing, the Cycle of 5ths or 4ths, and I teach the songs, "Right Or Wrong" and "Anytime". In the video, I also sing a bit and give a few examples of how one might play lead on the tunes with a few single string runs a and a bit of thumpicking. When I recorded the video, I had only a few hours sleep and had driven 10 hours the day before... and it showed. But, the next day, I tried again and couldn't get the same, easy feel of the first take. There is a lot of good info in this one, and I hope y'all enjoy it. Email me if you have any questions. BTW, the blog is on facebook now, so like it if you like it.
    westernswingguitar.blogspot.com
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Lesson 4 continued - Alabama Jubilee, 3 note voicings, the cycle, etc

This lesson is a continuation of the Cycle of 5ths (or 4ths) - this time, using 3 note chord voicings in the context of a tune that is both ragtime and fiddle in style. I flub more than a few notes....... due to a broken rib that was a serious distraction throughout... and because sometimes it is harder to slow something down and explain it than to actually play it. But, if you can understand this one, you'll learn some very cool chord voicings, some tricks to add movement to a tune and how to get a bit bluesy/funky with a western swing style fiddle tune.

Full lesson and video here: How To Play Western Swing Guitar: Lesson 4 continued - Alabama Jubilee, 3 note voicings, the cycle, etc

http://westernswingguitar.blogspot.com/ ... lee-3.html
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Update:

I'll have to redo the Alabama Jubilee lesson. Way too many mistakes. Next time I'll write it out first and not simply trust my memory (which is never trust worthy).

I'll leave it up for a few days since a few folks have said that they got the progression and enjoyed it. The fingerings are right - just don't pay attention to the mistaken chord names.

Thanks to the friend who notified me:

"About 8 to 10 minutes in, you move the D7 up to frets 11 & 12 and call it C6. That would be an A7 not a C major. A C inversion in that position would be 12 X 10 12 X X.

The chord you played that you call Dm7 is actually a Bb triad (10 x 8 10 x x). A Dm7 would be 10 X 10 10 X X."
  • NewtonNewton New
    Nice blog. BTW Roy Clark is from a tiny place called Meherrin, VA.
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Thanks! I've been to Meherrin - I used to live in Altavista and worked in Rocky Mount for a congressman who made some dubious headlines recently... got to know every little town around there. It is an incredibly pleasant, pretty area, with friendly and helpful folks - and, I love that accent! It is much more genteel than my NC accent.
  • NewtonNewton New
    Yes, I think I am familiar with your congessman. Career politician son of a career politician. Not much more to say.
    Altavista is a cute little place. Lots of corn for mashing.
    Anyway, nice western swing blog. Cool.
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    I put up two new posts on westernswingguitar.blogspot.com tonight. The first is the chord progression, with the two chords I screwed up last time corrected and explained. The second is 3 versions of how I might play the melody. I hope y'all enjoy it and have a happy New Year!