DjangoBooks.com

Bill Coleman Blues, new free transcription!

Dario NapoliDario Napoli Milano✭✭✭✭ Hahl Gitano Deluxe
edited November 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 300
Here's another Django rhythm transcription, if you like it, get it for free at http://www.darionapoli.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCD7nT8_1Cs

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    HI Dario,

Just now getting a chance to look at this. Wow tons of great stuff in there!

One question, I like the sound of the little splash that he does in bar 12 of the 2nd page (up at the 10th fret) but I am not sure how to 'rationalize' it theoretically (if that is even necessary except that I do that for my own understanding).

Can you explain that. It looks like some part of a D triad???

Thanks!
  • Dario NapoliDario Napoli Milano✭✭✭✭ Hahl Gitano Deluxe
    Yes! So many little gems in these duets. Sure, the little splash (love that name for it:)) is essentially D7. The first time around he actually plays D7, being it an Eb blues, the D is a tritone sub for Ab, then passing to F-7.
    Like you, I always look to rationalize so that I can then use or repeat in other contexts. I find with Django that there's always an "explanation" and usually it's not that complicated with him, just executed so tastefully and the timing..
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Dario,

Yes to everything that you mention. When you break it down it's not that complicated but, agreed, his timing/etc. is amazing.

I really need to work on more of his accompaniment transcriptions.

thanks again
    Awesome, glad you liked it, will come up with some new ones at some point
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool, that would be awesome!

I've worked out his head (1st chorus) and accompaniment behind Grapelli (2nd chorus, as best as I can hear it with the rest of the band and violin) for Ou Es Tu Mon Amour but I don't think I ever tabbed it out. If I can find the tab (if I have it) or have time to write it out I'll post it.
    Cool! I've also done the whole thing for out of nowhere and manoir des mes reves, if you want them let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlQZxJCUnts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxugwkaCPqw
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that would be awesome, thanks! Are they on your website?

I looked thru my notebooks but I don't think I ever tabbed out Ou Es Tu. That will be my motivation to get it done. Will post it...
    Just send me your email and I'll pass them on, no problem. I "use" these and other solo transcriptions to increase memberships at my website, after all I transcribe constantly and it's free, right now I have Bill Coleman Blues but I'll put a different solo in a few weeks
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Dario, email sent.

PS- BTW great youtube vids on Out of Nowhere and Manoir!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok here's an attempt at transcribing Django's accompaniment for Stephane's chorus of Ou Es Tu.

It's pretty hard to hear in many places so....there is some stuff that I don't think is right anymore but since it's so hard to be definitive anyway I didn't bother to 'fix' it but if anyone has some feedback on parts feel free.

I need to figure out some way to video/record someday...