DjangoBooks.com

Tune of the Week, redux?

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hi, all.

When the Repertoire Forum began, I tried to have a weekly post of a tune so we could all pick it apart and give each other tips about playing it. It didn't go well-I think most of the members then had already decided how they were going to play whatever tune showed up. Now that we've got more members, including some players new to the scene, I wonder if it might be a good idea to bring it back.

Let me know what you all think...The basic idea is that I'll post a chart or at least changes to a tune along with an mp3 file (barring any copyright troubles-you'll have to let me know, Michael) so we can talk about it. Though I'm sure the questions will lead in all sorts of directions, the basic ideas would be something along these lines:

A) Harmony: Chords, Chord Shapes, Substitutions
B) Heads: Fingering & Picking
C) Improvisation: Suggestions about how to approach the changes
D) Intros & Outros: Beginning and ending the tune, traditional or not.

Let me know what you all think-I'm certainly not good enough to manage all of it on my own (particularly B and C), but I think it could be a great resource if we make a go of it as a group. Here's to hoping.

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Sounds like a fine idea, Jack. What`s the tune this time around...

I vote for some early Django sometime; say Clouds (July `35), Chasing shadows (Sep. `35), Blue Lou, something unchartered. QHCF has so many gems left to be explored!
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Sounds great, Jack. I wasn't aware of your earlier attempt.

I'm listening to 'Clouds' as I type. Very nice tune. And a ballad--oh, wait, they just kicked it up. Love those varied arrangements!

Let's go...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Great idea Jack...if you're just posting chord changes it'll be fine.

'm
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Really great idea. I think it would be cool to have an audio file available of the tune as well (or maybe a couple so that you could hear different musician's interpretations) -- perhaps if there's copyright/licencing issues, they could be made available to interested parties as pay-download (?).
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    you could put up audio...just as long as you link to the artists cd in the post. that way people can buy the whole cd if they want it. so it is effectively a "sample" for advertising AND education.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good...I'll post something soon, then. It'll probably turn out to be Tune of the Month, though-a week just ain't enough time.

Best,
    Jack.